Thread: Hair dye, straighteners may increase breast cancer risk, especially for black women

Default Hair dye, straighteners may increase breast cancer risk, especially for black women

MARIE MCCULLOUGH
    DEC 05, 2019

A large study led by government scientists is renewing concern about whether chemicals used to dye and straighten hair raise the risk of cancer.
    National Institutes of Health researchers found an increased chance of breast cancer among women who regularly used permanent hair dye, particularly African-Americans. Black women who used dye at least every two months had a 60% higher breast cancer risk, while white women had an 8% higher risk. Straightener use was linked to an 18% increase in risk.
    Decades of studies of hair dye and various cancers have produced conflicting and inconclusive results. The authors of the latest study, published Wednesday in the International Journal of Cancer, said their results need to be confirmed and put in context.

Continue reading at:https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...205-story.html
    Last edited by Islander; 12-06-19 at 11:25 AM. Reason: italicize journal title, formatting, spelling

Banned

Default Re: Hair dye, straighteners may increase breast cancer risk, especially for black wom

I've heard about this theory. Yet I still cant stop dyeing my hair. I don't understand why black women has a higher risk but I think you rarely saw them dye their hairs anyway

Default Re: Hair dye, straighteners may increase breast cancer risk, especially for black wom

Why can't you stop, Charlene? If it's because you're going grey, well grey is the new brown. My 53-year-old daughter and her friends are all going naturally grey and they look stunning! Or you could try henna, which is safe and yields a very natural color.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information