Thread: Why Doesn't The USA Use The Metric System? Pirates Are The Answer, Apparently

Default Why Doesn't The USA Use The Metric System? Pirates Are The Answer, Apparently

Larry Getlen
    December 9, 2019

Have you ever wondered why the logical metric system isn’t used in the US? Well, there’s a bizarre story behind it and it involves pirates.

When the United States was still in its formative stages, the haphazardly run new states didn’t use the same systems of measurement. A pound in New York could weigh less than a pound in Virginia.
    The problem was so great that, in 1790, President George Washington said in his first State of the Union address that “uniformity in the currency, weights and measures of the United States is an object of great importance”.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...59d83541d77a96
    Last edited by Julieanne; 12-10-19 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: Why Doesn't The USA Use The Metric System? Pirates Are The Answer, Apparently

Well that was fun!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Why Doesn't The USA Use The Metric System? Pirates Are The Answer, Apparently

Thanks, Julieanne. That was an interesting, unexpected answer to a question I've wondered about. I always figured they just brought the British imperial system with them and kept it. Poor Dombey!

We had the Imperial system in Oz till 1966, when we switched from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents. Soon after, we changed from pints and quarts to grams and kilos. So all those sums in school were a waste of time! Metric is so much easier.

Interesting article about poor old Dombey, who knew? "...writes Dan Lewis in his book, Now I Know: The Soviets Invaded Wisconsin?!" And I wonder if Dan Lewis knows that the U.S. and the UK invaded Russia,
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...war-180971470/

Enjoyable article filled with nice factual tidbits. Every time my mechanic wants to know whether my car engine is 3.4 Liters or 3.8 I'm reminded the U.S. is more metric than it realizes. Same is true for buying a bottle of wine....sold as 750 milliliters, no longer 25 ounces. Same is true for bottled water, sold as 500 ml....use to be 16.9 ounces. Oh, and don't forget all the 5K races. Yes, we're more metric than we think.

And FWIW, there is 61 cubic inches displacement (CID) per liter, so your car's engine is either 207.4 cid or 231.8 cid.

Thread Information