Thread: The World's First Human Composting Facility Will Let Us Recycle Ourselves

Default The World's First Human Composting Facility Will Let Us Recycle Ourselves

Lilly Smith
    November 25 2019

In life, we strive to reduce and reuse. The human composting center Recompose aims to offer a more sustainable death.

What happens to us when we die? It’s one of life’s most enigmatic and profound questions. And—let me clear this up now—I don’t have any insights to offer on the afterlife. But the first renderings of new after-death center Recompose (don’t call it a “funeral home”) reveal another option for the afterlife of our bodies here on earth: composting.

Read more: https://www.organicconsumers.org/new...B+645+Saturday

Default Re: The World's First Human Composting Facility Will Let Us Recycle Ourselves

That's a novel and completely green idea that I would almost totally support. Why not 100%? I'd prefer the option of rolling me into a simple cardboard box and dropping me into a big hole in my orchard. I believe the burial on one's own plot of land is legal in many states; I know it's legal in Maine.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The World's First Human Composting Facility Will Let Us Recycle Ourselves

I think I'll just settle for sequestering the carbon from my cremated ash remains into the earth. But then again, burying me in a biodegradable cardboard casket might not be such a bad idea also???

I've been pondering this issue for years. Cremation takes enormous amounts of energy, and cemeteries are already crowded. What to do? My preferred option is to donate my body to a university, but it would still eventually be cremated. If I allow my body to be used for research purpose I can't also donate organs, I realise that at my age many of my organs will be too old, but my eyes still function. I read today that Australian labs (?) are running out of skin for burns patients, so that is another issue. I'd happily donate skin now, but they will only use skin when you are dead. Why this is I have no idea.

I'd like to hear other member's ideas on funerals - what do want to happen when you go?

I purchased burial plots many years ago. So, at this point, I expect to be lowered into a hole and decompose over time. Once I'm dead, I don't much care what happens to my shell. I haven't given cremation much thought, although I guess it's OK as long as relatives aren't required to spread ashes or prop up an urn on a mantel somewhere. Didn't we have a recent article here about ashes being turned into 20 stones for $500?? Now, that's a novel idea. Lol.

I don't want a funeral. I have talked to my son, and I want nothing to do with the lucrative industry, which is being looked at closely (in Oz) for exorbitant costs. I guess I'll be cremated, no option to compost or be buried in my orchard - it's not allowed. I don't want a service, just a gathering of people I have known where anyone can say what they like - no formal eulogies.

I arranged one like this for a friend who died a few years ago, and we all stood around and told our stories. I asked people to bring food to share, and we had a great evening. So that's what I want.

I don't want a formal funeral or memorial either. Recently, I've attended brief gatherings at the actual gravesite. I guess these are called "gravesite ceremonies." Family and close friends just gather briefly at the cemetery...someone utters a few words and the body is lowered into the ground. Short & sweet, and it's all over. I think I might prefer something like this.

When my husband was dying, all the children had gathered at the hospital/hospice, and we had several conversations about my future demise. Many years ago, burial plots had been purchased in New Hampshire where the family was living at the time. I asked my children if I were buried in one of those family plots, would any of them ever visit the cemetery, and of course the answer was no. My ultimate decision at the time was cremation, and I had no particular wishes as to disposal/dispersal of the ashes. My kids also wanted to know what kind of memorial service I'd like. I reminded them that I would not be there. Any gathering in my memory would be entirely up to them, but if they wanted some kind of get together it could absolutely not be mournful. Let them share the funniest stories they remember about old Mum!

Well, it appears things are moving ahead for the dead: https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...-open-in-2021/

That's almost funny, a room full of composters! Although I'd like to see the results not necessarily grown within the facility, but planted and fertilized somewhere like a municipal park. Each tree could even have a little plaque, the way donated trees do, if the deceased so wished.

Thread Information