Thread: Coconut Oil Improves Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms

Default Coconut Oil Improves Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms

Sayer Ji, Founder
    November 7th 2019 m

A new study in Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients using dietary supplementation with a unique saturated fat has confirmed earlier research that a non-drug based approach can stabilize and even improve a degenerative disease whose symptoms are usually managed with drugs and not cured.
    Published in the journal Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment and titled "Retrospective case studies of the efficacy of caprylic triglyceride in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease," [i] this exploratory study sought to test whether caprylic acid triglycerides (CT) - a type of fat found naturally in the milk of mammals and a constituent of coconut and palm kernel oil - would improve the condition of mild-to-moderately afflicted AD patients.

Read more: https://www.greenmedinfo.health/blog...ZYQXkifQ%3D%3D
    Last edited by Islander; 12-15-19 at 12:08 AM.

Default Re: Coconut Oil Improves Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms

Interesting study. So, the patients consumed more than a cup of coconut oil a day. Wow, there's almost 1,900 calories in a single cup of coconut oil, according to nutrition.self.com. That's almost my total daily caloric intake...snacks and all. Lol. Although loaded with calories, coconut oil is unmatched by any other food for its combination of several different types of medium-chain triglycerides and lauric acid. No other food comes close to this combination.

Or you could take 40 ml (2 tablespoons) of MCT oil. It would be nice to find that MCT is also a preventative - I have started taking it recently to try and improve my forgetfulness, along with coconut oil in cooking. Supposedly, MCT oil helps with weight loss, and I have read the same about coconut oil. I posted an article about this ages ago - I'll try and find it.

This is it: http://www.realfarmacy.com/study-fin...on-waist-size/
    Last edited by Julieanne; 12-16-19 at 06:32 AM.

Holy moley, Mr. Wizard, I read that as 20 g. per day. I had to re-read it to fully appreciate the dose. Can they be serious? I read some years back that coconut oil could help deter if not prevent, AD, so I try to work a tablespoon a day into my diet. I think that much fat, no matter how beneficial, would simply sicken me!

Julieanne, I tried MCT oil a couple of years ago based on a recommendation I read somewhere. I went through a full pint (or was that a quart?) without seeing much improvement and decided to give it a second chance. The second bottle turned rancid relatively quickly and I had to discard it. End of experiment!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

I don't think you misread, Islander. The article mentions both measurements, but it refers to two different things. But before anybody gets too worked up, check this out from the same article:

"While the prospect of consuming over a cup of coconut oil in order to obtain the 20 gram 'clinical dose' used in this study may be unappealing, consider that preclinical research on whole coconut oil, which contains other beneficial medium chain triglycerides, is quite encouraging, and that generally speaking one needs to take less of the whole food complex in order to obtain the kind of therapeutic effect observed in one of its isolated components."

Not only that, but it's my understanding that a whole food will often have a synergistic effect that is often far more wide-ranging and beneficial than one of its component parts in isolation. This probably ties in with needing less of it to produce the desired effect. Of course, it's not always practical or even possible to use the whole food, but when it is, it will often be more desirable.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 12-16-19 at 02:47 PM. Reason: fix spacing, correct typo

Well that makes a lot more sense, and it's reassuring. Thanks for clarifying, Patty!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Most MCT oils are 100% medium chain tryglycerides. In contrast, coconut oil is mostly lauric acid, with some MCT. Technically, lauric acid is considered a long chain tryglyceride, requiring digestion and can be easily stored as fat. MCTs don't require digestion, going straight to the liver to be converted to energy. So, the high amount of lauric acid in coconut oil makes MCT oil better for weight loss.

Thread Information