Thread: FTC Charges Prevagen with Deceptive Memory, Cognitive Improvement Claims

Default FTC Charges Prevagen with Deceptive Memory, Cognitive Improvement Claims

Widely advertised supplement touted to improve memory in 90 days
    January 9, 2017

MEDIA CONTACT:
    Mitchell J. Katz
    Office of Public Affairs
    202-326-2161

STAFF CONTACTS:
    Michelle Rusk
    Bureau of Consumer Protection
    202-326-3148

Annette Soberats
    Bureau of Consumer Protection
    202-326-2921

The Federal Trade Commission and New York State Attorney General have charged the marketers of the dietary supplement Prevagen with making false and unsubstantiated claims that the product improves memory, provides cognitive benefits, and is “clinically shown” to work.
    The extensive national advertising campaign for Prevagen, including TV spots on national broadcast and cable networks such as CNN, Fox News, and NBC, featured charts depicting rapid and dramatic improvement in memory for users of the product. In fact, the complaint alleges, the marketers relied on a study that failed to show that Prevagen works better than a placebo on any measure of cognitive function.

Read more: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...mNwRuqfjIymH2o
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: FTC Charges Prevagen with Deceptive Memory, Cognitive Improvement Claims

Sadly, we'll see more companies selling bogus memory products as our populations continue to age. Thankfully, the FTC was able to ferret out this unscrupulous company. Hopefully, this will serve as a deterrent to other companies that would dupe senior citizens out of their hard earned money.

Default Re: FTC Charges Prevagen with Deceptive Memory, Cognitive Improvement Claims

The only "memory" aid I take is Gingko biloba. Is it effective? Well, it has a very long history, so I take it with the expectation that it certainly can't harm and might actually help.

My old boss took Gingko regularly. He had an impressive memory, almost scary!

I take a gingko supplement, as well. So far, so good. I was able to memorize almost 100 pages of dialogue for the play I was in recently, although it was difficult for me to get it done.

Congratulations Maurya! I know I couldn't do it. Must get back to the Gingko if it really does work.

Veteran Member

Maurya, I'm dying to know what part you had in what play. Must have been an important one with so much dialogue! Congratulations!

Pattypans, I played the role of "Marilyn" in a comedy called Ripcord. The tough part was that I took over the role after another actor dropped out almost a month into rehearsals, so I had to catch up with the rest of the cast.

Congratulations, Maurya. That sounds like an awesome, challenging experience. Is there a YouTube or website where we can watch it?

Y'all have me pondering using Gingko, as sometmes I have to go through a memory "ritual" trying to remember something. That's what I like about on-line forums as opposed to open conversation, I can take my time to think, sort, research, and answer.
    Anyway, while in the middle of researching Ginko, to make sure it doesn't interfere with my blood donation routine, https://www.vitalant.org/Donate/Donor-Eligibility.aspx, I came across this website list of pros and cons about Gingko that shows some possible adverse effects on the blood:
    https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/...ginkgo-biloba/
    I would think/hope the old saying, "the poison is in the dose" applies here so as always, when taking supps, one should be cautious.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-22-19 at 06:40 PM.

grulla, thanks for the link. Very informative. I was aware that Gingko, like most herbs, "may" decrease the ability to coagulate, thus increasing bleeding. But, your link also mentioned that Gingko may enhance Metformin's effectiveness, while altering the amount of insulin produced. This is big deal for diabetics and others taking Metformin. Good additional info. in your link. Thanks for researching and sharing!!

Veteran Member

That's awesome, Maurya! Must've been fun. My acting resume is limited to five words off-stage as Annie Sullivan's brother (brother!) in our high school's production of "The Miracle Worker." My lines: "It hurts, Annie! It hurts!" But I put my whole heart into them. The leads did an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The only "memory" aid I take is Gingko biloba. Is it effective? Well, it has a very long history, so I take it with the expectation that it certainly can't harm and might actually help.
    Mercola has an interesting Ginko Bilboa article this morning, 2/3/2020, as well as "Almond's": forum comments:
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...a-mystery.aspx
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:38 AM.

Lol, Almond's always promoting herself! Thanks for pointing out that article, Grulla. I didn't learn anything but I did make a contribution to the page:

Curious that no one has commented on the unique characteristics of the Ginkgo biloba. Welcome to the world of the dinosaurs! The Ginkgo is the sole dioecious gymnosperm in a world of angiosperms. Once mature, the females will produce ovaries and the males will produce motile sperm that require water in order to reach and pollinate the eggs. In the horticulture business it is common to clone male Gingkos; they are used widely in urban landscaping since they are tolerant of pollution, and no one will appreciate female trees when they begin to drop their eggs.* However, it may take 20 to 50 years for a ginkgo to mature, so the generation that planted them may not be around to see the effects, if any!

* They lie around on the ground, eventually rotting and leaving a truly nauseous smell in the air.

Thread Information