Thread: Fukushima Unit 3 Spent Fuel Damage Identified

Default Fukushima Unit 3 Spent Fuel Damage Identified

Editor
    December 16, 2019

TEPCO has identified twelve fuel assemblies with damaged lifting handles. Further damage can not be identified at this point as the assemblies are still in the fuel racks in the spent fuel pool.
    The location of the newer 6 damaged assemblies are from the location where the fuel handling crane and a concrete hatch fell into the pool.
    TEPCO plans to eventually remove the fine debris around this fuel assembly, then attempt to confirm the condition of the rest of it. TEPCO is working on a plan for eventually moving these damaged assemblies to the common pool.

Keep reading: http://www.simplyinfo.org/?p=17842&f...q_HJq7N9ZaGPWk

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Fukushima Unit 3 Spent Fuel Damage Identified

Finally, 8 years after this catastrophic disaster, some progress is being made. Progress has been slow primarily because humans can't go near the spent fuel pool. Everything is being done by robots, drones, and other mechanical devices. To date, the Japanese government has invested more than $100 million in a tech center to mechanical devices that can wade into the highly radiated areas. Many devices have failed. But, machines are the only way to assess the damage and determine what efforts will be required for cleanup. It took 6 years, and millions of dollars, to finally develop a robot--Sunfish--that could operate in the highly-radiated, dark waters near the spent fuel pool. TEPCO estimates it will take several decades to effect total cleanup of Fukushima. Personally, I think the estimate is terribly optimistic, but I hope I'm wrong.

Here's a fascinating (but very long) read about the role of robots and the technological challenges involved in the Fukushima cleanup. https://www.wired.com/story/fukushima-robot-cleanup/

What's equally frightening (in case you need more scary scenarios) is that rising sea levels along America's coasts may eventually result n the same effect as the demise of Fukushima. And yet from time to time I hear someone advocate, in the name of climate change, more nuclear power plants. Have they no vision?

An Australian politician is pushing for nuclear power to combat climate change. I don't think the idea will get far - but I'm amazed that anyone in their right mind would even suggest it.

Several countries took swift action after Fukushima to eliminate or reduce the number of power plants. Italy, for one, has no operating nuclear power plants (NPP), driven initially by the Chernobyl accident, with Fukushima expediting the move to 0 NPP operating today. Germany permanently shut down 8 of its 17 plants after Fukushima, with a goal of closing the rest in the next 2 years. Belgium, Spain, and Switzerland are phasing out their NPP, while dozens of other countries slashed their plans for NPPs after Fukushima. So, the accident had some impact on the future of NPPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    An Australian politician is pushing for nuclear power to combat climate change. I don't think the idea will get far - but I'm amazed that anyone in their right mind would even suggest it.
    HOPEFULLY, your Australian politician may be talking about safe(r) liquid fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR) technology, where coal dependent China, and others countries, are making advances. http://lftrnow.com/
    https://www.quora.com/If-Thorium-LFT...-built-one-yet

This is my first introduction to thorium. I'm trying to understand thorium's advantage over other nuclear fuel sources?? As best I can tell, thorium is radiated like the others, and it has a half life of forever. So, why thorium over the others?

This one short link above explains a lot: http://lftrnow.com/

If this is true, then why on earth aren't we rushing to implement this technology?

That's the "$64" question in the above posted quora link: https://www.quora.com/If-Thorium-LFT...-built-one-yet I'm sure big energy interests are doing their "best" to interfere. It would sure be a boon for electric railroads, as I described in my recent HH thread.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-22-19 at 06:00 PM.

Thread Information