Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Deal? (Raw millk sales)

Default Raw Deal? (Raw millk sales)

Katherine Paul and Ronnie Cummins
    20 December 2019

How is it that poisons like glyphosate and chlorpyrifos can be soldand sprayed on foodalmost everywhere in the U.S., but 22 states prohibit sales of raw milk?
    In fact, you almost need a law degree to figure out the jumbled mix of state laws governing raw milk sales.
    Why do known carcinogens get a pass from U.S. regulatory agencies, but raw milk gets a raw deal?
    Congress has never passed a ban on raw milk. Yet the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has used its regulatory authority to raid farms and prosecute farmers for distributing raw milk.

Read more, see legislative sponsors and TAKE ACTION: Ask Your Member of Congress to support your right to choose raw milk by supporting H.R. 5410, the Interstate Milk Freedom Act.

Scroll down through https://www.organicconsumers.org/byt...content=OB+647
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Raw Deal? (Raw millk sales)

The laws on the sale of raw milk vary greatly, depending on whether it's bought in a store (retail sale) or whether it's an on-farm sale. 12 states allow retail; 16 states allow on-farm sales; another 8 states permit "herd share agreements," where people buy ownership in a cow from the farmer and then are entitled to the milk it produces. And, 4 states permit raw milk sales for pets. How many "new" pet owners sprung up in those states?? Lol. See more details here:
    https://www.salon.com/2019/03/16/cou...rmers_partner/

Thanks for that link, Mr. Wizard. Posted to Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    ...How many "new" pet owners sprung up in those states?? Lol...
    'Funny' you should mention that, as I have heard and read so often of people that bought their pharma from vets, which was otherwise beyond their financial means and ability in a drug store pharmacy. I had/have a dozen small squeeze tubes of Pfizer terramycin eye ointment stored in the fridge for many years that we had purchased at half price from a mail order vet supply, to be used for equine pink-eye, (which has never yet happened here). A friend of mine had some eye health issues and used that eye ointment product that I had donated to him, with good results.

If one lives in one of those raw dairy restrictive states like NJ, and if it is convenient and cost-effective, they can travel to an adjacent state like PA, where it is legal to sell raw milk one way or another, and then "smuggle" that raw milk back home again, just like a bootlegger smuggling "White Lightning", lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5WWX_40gs
    Last edited by grulla; 01-01-20 at 10:33 AM.

raw milk? what does it mean by raw milk? isn't all milk supposed to be raw.

No, it is all pasteurised.

The reason a lot of people make an attempt to find raw milk, scilover, is that pasteurization (heating milk up to 160°F) kills off all the beneficial bacteria along with any that might possibly be harmful. That legislation, or practice, or protocol, dates back to a period in the 40s when commercial dairies did not practice the ultra cleanliness that they do today, and disease was sometimes transmitted through contaminated milk.
    But raw milk is not at all uncommon in the countryside. Like a lot of farmers, we always had a dairy cow and our whole family drank raw milk and cream, made butter and cheese and so forth, and no one ever got sick. Although my family is grown and gone and I live alone, it's easy for me to get raw milk since I'm surrounded by a community of Amish families where everything is organic and the milk is always raw!

Let's not forget goats' milk, along with the cheese and yogurt made from it. It is available straight from the farmer, and I find it to be much more digestible than cows' milk products.

Maurya, I even have a book on goats' milk, written by a woman who couldn't breastfeed - it was the only milk her baby could digest. I used to get goats' milk from her, but she moved too far away. It is the only milk that is allowed to be sold raw here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Let's not forget goats' milk, along with the cheese and yogurt made from it. It is available straight from the farmer, and I find it to be much more digestible than cows' milk products.
    If one can get their RAW dairy from A2/A2 heritage livestock such as Jerseys, Guernseys, Brown Swiss cows, goats, sheep, etc., as opposed to A1/A1 or A1/A2 commercial hybrid dairy livestock, like Holsteins, then that much better.

http://www.a2a2milk.com/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk
    https://www.consumerreports.org/milk/what-is-a2-milk/
    https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating...hat-is-a2-milk https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/a1-vs-a2-milk
    Last edited by grulla; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:19 PM.

Goats are so much easier and more practical to keep than dairy cattle. I have tried and tried but I cannot tolerate goat's milk or any of the products from it. My youngest child was weaned to goats milk. I've tried three different breeds, hoping for a difference, but there was none. Goat milk tastes to me like roncky buck. It's even worse than cilantro. And I think it must somehow be hormone-related, because when my Toggenburg was pregnant, that taste disappeared and I could drink her milk. As soon as she kidded, we were right back to square one. And my daughters share my distaste for it, though my husband and sons were fine with it.

Have you ever eaten goat meat?

Very young goat is nice, but haven't seen it for sale for years. Possibly snapped up by specialty butchers who cater for migrant tastes.

Goat meat is extremely popular around here. I don't particularly care for it, but as a properly prepared curry dish, it can be quite delicious. It's a Caribbean specialty.

Yep, plenty of goat farmers around here and goat meat is plentiful. It's rather pricey and kind of bland and I have plenty of other tastier protein sources. But if you're wondering whether I get that off flavor, the answer is no. It's carried strictly in the milk and anything made from milk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information