Thread: Mighty Broccoli Sprouts Rapidly Detox Pollutants

Default Mighty Broccoli Sprouts Rapidly Detox Pollutants

GreenMedInfo Research Group
    November 6 2019

Air pollution is associated with a long list of health problems including cardio-respiratory deaths, pulmonary disease, and chronic respiratory conditions. And the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified air pollution as carcinogenic to humans.
    But clinical trial finds that tiny broccoli sprouts can help neutralize this very big problem.
    Researchers from Johns Hopkins University and several other institutions in the U.S. and China tested the power of broccoli sprouts to protect people from air pollutants.

Read more: https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/mi...ZYQXkifQ%3D%3D

Default Re: Mighty Broccoli Sprouts Rapidly Detox Pollutants

Good to see a study of broccoli sprouts on humans, as most studies have been conducted on animals. The sulphoraphane created from broccoli sprouts significantly revs up the immune system, which may produce undesirable effects if consumed for long periods. (The study mentioned above lasted only 12 weeks.) The article states brocco sprouts contain 100 times more sulphoraphane than regular broccoli. There are human studies showing that sulphoraphane in even regular broccoli can inhibit the thyroid's ability to absorb iodine. So, those suffering from goiter or other thyroid problems should be aware that long-term over consumption of cruciferous veggies, in general, and potent derivatives, like brocco sprouts, may not be beneficial. I eat broccoli and brocco sprouts in moderation and no more than once or twice per week.

Thanks Mr Wiz, I thought it was only raw broccoli that caused problems. I grow kale, broccoli and rocket (forgotten what you call it!) for seed for sprouting. I probably don't eat many, as I sprinkle them on salad and sandwiches, nowhere near the amount these people ate. I haven't sprouted for a while, and my thyroid med was reduced recently, so I think I'm OK.

You're correct, Julieanne, cooking broccoli and other cruciferous veggies does decrease the amount of sulphoraphane. However, the sprouts, as in brocco sprouts, contain so much that even lightly steaming doesn't do much to reduce the high amount of sulphoraphane. Everything in moderation is my motto.

Ha. I grow broccoli sprouts occasionally and when I do, I'm conscientious about rinsing and draining them often. When they get to a certain size where they grow leaves, I remove them from the dark and place them where they can get sunshine. They were only a day or two away from being refrigerated and used When I spent a day away from home with family just before Christmas. Alas, I forgot the sprouts. I'm sure they enjoyed the morning sun but by noon they were probably fried, and when I got home, all I had was a handful of stringy dead stems.
    :: deep sigh ::
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information