Thread: Should We All Be Eating More Protein?

Default Should We All Be Eating More Protein?

Robby Derma
    December 29 2019

A recent review and meta-analysis investigating protein intake conclude that consuming the recommended daily allowance is fine for most people, most of the time. However, more protein is not necessarily beneficial.
    Many of us enthusiastically indulge in holiday treats, which means that come New Year's Day, beginning a weight loss program is a common resolution.

An increase in the consumption of protein — often over the recommended daily allowance — is the cornerstone of many diets, but does eating more protein make sense for everyone?

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...Daily%20News#1
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:33 AM.

Default Re: Should We All Be Eating More Protein?

More and more people are adopting vegan diets, many out of concern for the environment. Plant-based vegan diets, while high in protein, often lack the key vitamin B-12, as there are no really good plant-based sources of B-12 with the exception of perhaps nutritional yeast. But, not many tolerate yeast well. A lack of B-12 over time wreaks havoc on the body, manifesting in poorly formed red blood cells and eventually anemia. So, the amount of protein is important, but the source of protein is even more important, especially if not consuming animal protein.

Given the recommendation of .36 g of protein for every pound of body weight, I estimate that my total over a week would average to 50.4 g per day, which is right where it should be. But when I look around, it seems that most Americans eat way more than that; a lot of people expect meat protein at all three meals. And who eats a 4-ounce steak? Most diners expect a steak of 12 to 16 ounces — that's a pound of meat! — and often times the slab of beef on a plate is a couple of pounds at a sitting! I don't think there's a need to raise less beef; there is a need for us to lower the quantity of beef we eat on a daily basis.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I totally agree Islander. I was guilty of being a pure protein glutton years ago. During my weightlifting days, I remember consuming 12 oz. and 16 oz. beef steaks...in one sitting. As a 200 lb. man throwing around 50 lb. dumbbells at the gym for an hour several times per week, I felt my body needed that much protein to reach satiety. However, in hindsight, I realize I was just being a glutton. It's a common misconception among weightlifters and bodybuilders that over consumption of beef protein is needed to build muscles. Today, I no longer lift weights and can easily reach satiety with a 4 oz. salmon steak.

"Robert Morton, a Canadian exercise scientist from McMaster University, did just that. He compiled 49 protein studies comprising 1,863 men and women who'd been lifting weights between 6 and 52 weeks. While no study, meta or not, is definitive, this one begs to be taken seriously based on size if nothing else.
    Morton found a distinct relationship between total protein intake and fat-free mass (muscle). He also found that dietary protein supplementation significantly increased one-rep maxes and cross-sectional muscle-fiber area (muscles got bigger).
    No real surprises there, but his statistics did show that protein intake beyond 1.62 grams/kilogram didn't result in any further resistance-training related increases in fat-free mass. That means that 1.62 grams/kilogram might be what we should all strive for to maximize our muscle-building efforts.
    Converted to pounds, this is what 1.62 grams per kilogram looks like for various body weights:
    110 grams a day for a 150-pound lifter
    129 grams a day for a 175-pound lifter
    147 grams a day for a 200-pound lifter
    166 grams a day for a 225-pound lifter"

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-lo...oZgtCMeDERbPAc

Maurya: your post is a real eye opener!! Thank you. Based on Morton's recommendation, I was eating over 300 grams "more" protein than I needed to maximize muscle building efforts. Wow. But, beyond muscle building, I was also dealing with the need to feel gratified after eating. To reach satiety, I believed I required about a pound of meat (453 grams).

Thread Information