Thread: Mysterious Hum Identified as the Formation of a New Underwater Volcano

Default Mysterious Hum Identified as the Formation of a New Underwater Volcano

Jordan Davidson
    Jan. 10, 2020

Mysterious hums that were heard around the world in 2018 have now been identified as the rumblings of a magma-filled reservoir deep under the Indian Ocean, announcing the birth of an underwater volcano, according to a new study, as CNN reported.
    Researchers started to detect seismic movement from the birth of the volcano in May and June of 2018, which eventually led to a humming noise that radiated thousands of miles away from where the volcano was born about 22 miles off the coast of Mayotte in the Indian Ocean, one of several in the Comoros archipelago found between Mozambique and Madagascar, as CNNreported.

Continue reaing at: https://www.ecowatch.com/new-underwa...1#rebelltitem1

Last edited by grulla; 01-17-20 at 10:00 AM.

Default Re: Mysterious Hum Identified as the Formation of a New Underwater Volcano

Ever since I/we relocated in 1992 to my/our current location in the Gila Forest Mountains of SW NM, (6300' elev.), I have experienced, on 'n off over the years, unusual humming at night, and now even more so during the day. It is more noticeable from inside my aluminum RV mobile home (MH, caravan) abode or close by outdoors, suggesting to me that the metalic MH is acting as an antenna of sorts demodulating that hum to being acoustical, from sources such as perhaps powerlines, the openpit mining industry 10 miles north, or perhaps exacerbated by the new windfarm about 10 miles S x SW of me in the Apache Mtns. And acoustics can be prone to wind direction, further complicating the cause of the humming problem.

I held a piece of 4" X 2' PVC pipe to my ear trying to pinpoint the direction of the hum's source, but to no avail, as it seems to becoming from every direction, further suggesting seismic activity in the earth.

Now this EcoWatch article claims that the humming may in fact be from distant seismic volcanic activity, halfway around the globe!!, with perhaps an electromagnetic component. This is no conspiracy theory, the hum is really there and yesterday's Eco article may help explain things???
    Last edited by grulla; 01-17-20 at 10:16 AM.

Default Re: Mysterious Hum Identified as the Formation of a New Underwater Volcano

The VLP described in this article lasted only 20 to 30 minutes. A similar article from CNN offers the same explanation. I had hoped it would explain the hum that I heard late on November 2018 that lasted well over an hour, but there seems to be no correlation.
    I had just flown in from Vegas close to midnight and heard the sound, felt the vibration under my feet, as soon as I stepped out of the car onto the garage floor. It sounded like a heavy machine running in the cellar, but since I had no such machine, and had been away for a week, I had no idea what could possibly be generating such a noise and causing such a vibration. A search of the cellar, every room in the house, the woodshed, the granite doorsteps and the ground surrounding the house, yielded nothing. I could feel the rumble under my feet and hear it everywhere. It was as if it originated from the bedrock of the state of Maine. It stopped abruptly about an hour after I got home, but since it was humming as I drove into the garage, I have no idea how long it might have been going on.
    The following day I asked my neighbors but either no one was awake at that time or no one experienced what I had. I called one of the local universities and the extension service, looking for an explanation, but no one had one. No geologist, no earthquake expert, had an answer for what caused my VLP.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The very long periods (VLP) around my place are continuous 24/7 with very brief, one second or so interruptions, with undetermined time length noise durations. The hum seemed to have stopped for a while over the Xmas holiday, suggesting to me (???) that it may in fact be the nearby copper mining activities at the Freeport-McMoran open pit copper mine appx 10 miles away, map line-of-site over the mountains.
    Last edited by grulla; 01-17-20 at 02:09 PM.

Now I'm not so sure about the mines. Just the other day while traveling on U.S. 180 on the far east side of the Mimbres desert valley 30 miles east of where I live, I stopped to use a public highway restroom facility, and when I got out of my vehicle, lo-'n-behold, there was that hum again. I cupped my ears to determine the source direction, but again to no avail, it seemed it was coming from every direction. And I might also add that that hum noise sort of reminds me of a distant foghorn out at sea.
    Last edited by grulla; 01-17-20 at 02:04 PM.

TMI.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information