Thread: The medications that change who we are

Default The medications that change who we are

Posted here because both prescription and OTC medications are included. Because the story comes from the British Isles, you will see paracetamol where we would call it acetaminophen, which we know by its trade name, Tylenol.

Zaria Gorvett
    8th January 2020

They’ve been linked to road rage, pathological gambling, and complicated acts of fraud. Some make us less neurotic, and others may even shape our social relationships. It turns out many ordinary medications don’t just affect our bodies – they affect our brains. Why? And should there be warnings on packets?

Keep reading: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ign=pockethits
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The medications that change who we are

I believe medications can change who we are because of their impact on liver function. There's a strong connection between proper liver function and a healthy brain. Most, if not all, medications are metabolized in the liver. They can prevent proper liver function over time, especially acetominophen. When the liver functions poorly, it alters brain function. It's a condition known as hepatic encephalopathy, or HE. I believe it's critical to consume nutrients that bolster the liver if taking daily medications long term. One such nutrient is milk thistle, which is highly touted for its liver healing properties.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-13-20 at 03:35 PM.

NAC (N-Acetyl cysteine) is also protective of the liver (and kidneys). Anyone who needs to take regular paracetamol should also be taking NAC.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...d-in-hospitals

I can't get the BBC link to function, just a blank screen with or without the BBC article header, anyone else???

What is scary to me, whenever I think about this, is now many people we encounter daily are really "not themselves" as a result of taking some of these drugs. They are unaware of it, and so are we when we deal with them.

Good point, Maurya.

Grulla, no one else seems to be having a problem. I just tried it again and it works fine, so I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    What is scary to me, whenever I think about this, is now many people we encounter daily are really "not themselves" as a result of taking some of these drugs. They are unaware of it, and so are we when we deal with them.
    I often deal with people who appear to be medicated. And, based on the data, many of them probably are. According to a JAMA study, nearly 60% of Americans age 20 or older consume prescription medications. Also, according to United Nations data, Americans use more opioid medications than any of the top 25 opioid consuming nations. I find this data somewhat surprising when viewed against the backdrop that Americans spend the most per capita for prescription drugs than any other high-income nation, according to Commonwealth Fund.org.

I would speculate that's because our capitalist system allows pharmaceutical companies to push prices to whatever the traffic will bear, without limitation. There's evidently never been any kind of regulatory pricing on prescription drugs. As a result, we see people dying from diabetes because they were trying to stretch out a two-week supply of insulin to last a month. There is a $30 supply of insulin available from any pharmacy, including Walmart, that people seem to be unaware of. I know this to be true because I checked personally with two pharmacies and with Walmart. Apparently it's not the fast acting kind, but there you are, it's affordable.
    I'd like to dream that the next president will find a way to bring drug prices down to acceptable levels, comparable to other countries, or allow the option for us to order from Canada, India, Mexico, or whatever country supplies the same prescription drug at a reasonable price.

For fear of venturing too far into the forbidden political realm, I'll simply say I agree wholeheartedly something needs to be done about exorbitant drug prices.

Thread Information