Thread: Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties

Default Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties

Rita Rubin, MA
    January 15, 2020

It’s almost unheard of for medical journals to get blowback for studies before the data are published. But that’s what happened to the Annals of Internal Medicine last fall as editors were about to post several studies showing that the evidence linking red meat consumption with cardiovascular disease and cancer is too weak to recommend that adults eat less of it.

Re
    ad more here: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2759201?guestAccessKey=bbf63fac-b672-4b03-8a23-dfb52fb97ebc&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=ema %20il&utm_campaign=article_alert-jama&utm_content=olf&utm_term=011520&fbclid=IwAR1_ %206UYo5gJ6XClEWN_KwS4enEQrwsx74VGA-Ge7lPljl9-DsjQ-lPtQH9c
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:37 PM. Reason: correct italics

Default Re: Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties

Thanks for sharing. I love the ever-changing nature and debate over nutrition. New research continues to emerge, changing what we thought we knew about nutrition. I intend to take a closer read of this article, and weigh in on the facts later, but just wanted to say I find the back and forth among nutrition researchers most intriguing. Once the dust settles, we're all the wiser.....Oh, that's the point..the dust never settles on nutrition.

Default Re: Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties

I thought the studies were too weak to support an argument one way or the other. The problem, above and beyond mere observational studies, is that they never confine themselves to grass-finished meat — and as long as you study the consumption of feedlot meat, you're going to find a variety of health issues that may in fact be related to meat containing antibiotics, GMO grains and so forth.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thanks Islander. These were my thoughts, as well.

Thread Information