Thread: Climate Change Could Lead To Extinction Of Bumblebees Canadian Researchers Find

Default Climate Change Could Lead To Extinction Of Bumblebees Canadian Researchers Find

ABC News (Australia)
    February 8 2020

Bumblebees are disappearing at rates "consistent with a mass extinction" thanks largely to climate change, according to a new study in Canada.
    Key points:

• University of Ottawa researchers looked at data from bumblebees over a 115-year period
    • Bumblebees' chances of survival have declined by 30 per cent in a generation
    • The research centred on increased frequency of heatwaves, droughts and other extreme events

Researchers at the University of Ottawa say they have developed a technique for predicting the impact of climate change on species' extinction risk, with bees at the forefront of their research.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...fears/11945352
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:46 AM.

Default Re: Climate Change Could Lead To Extinction Of Bumblebees Canadian Researchers Find

Bumblebees are the most prolific species I see on my property these days. My neighbor appears to have given up on honeybees. I see a few wild bees, carpenter bees or what not, but the bumblebees continue to be the most common here.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Climate Change Could Lead To Extinction Of Bumblebees Canadian Researchers Find

For the first time, I didn't get a single strawberry this season. Lots of flowers, showing promise, but they didn't get pollinated. I do have more wasps then ever this year, which do a great job with pests, but don't pollinate plants. Could they compete with the bees? They are called paper wasps and give a vicious sting, but leave me alone if I don't disturb them. The European wasp is sometimes found, but quickly eradicated as they are banned in Oz.

Thread Information