Thread: Coronavirus Patients In China To Be Treated With High Dose Vitamin C

Default Coronavirus Patients In China To Be Treated With High Dose Vitamin C

Health Impact News
    February 15 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(OMNS February 13, 2020) Breaking news: China is conducting a clinical trial of 24,000 mg/day of intravenous vitamin C to treat patients with coronavirus and severe respiratory complications. Participants will receive IV vitamin C for 7 days straight at Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University. Honor and thanks are due to Zhiyong Peng, MD, for making this happen. He is chief physician and professor at the hospital, which is close to ground zero for coronavirus. This important study was filed and announced yesterday and details may be confirmed at https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533

Read more: https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/co...linical-trial/
    Last edited by Islander; 02-16-20 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling virus

Default Re: Coronavirus Patients In China To Be Treated With High Dose Vitamin C

I'm on the edge of my chair to hear the results of this trial. It's because I take a megadose of vitamin C daily, and have done so for the past half century or so, that I don't catch colds or flu. I preach this gospel constantly, in person and on social media, but people either don't believe me or can't be bothered, because they don't do as I do and they still get sick.
    Last edited by Islander; 02-16-20 at 04:07 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Coronavirus Patients In China To Be Treated With High Dose Vitamin C

I applaud the use of high dose IV vitamin C. However, the details indicate that patients will be treated with high doses of "synthetic ascorbic acid," not true, natural vitamin C. High dose ascorbic acid and vitamin C are not the same thing. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid plus bioflavonoids, like rutin, hesperidin, rose hips, and others (known as vitamin P). The juice of an orange or grapefruit, for example, provides ascorbic acid, while the pulp, stringy parts provide the bioflavonoids. The high dose "vitamin C" being used in this clinical trial is strictly ascorbic acid, which is a fraction, a distillate of naturally occurring vitamin C. Lastly, natural vitamin C and high dose "ascorbic acid" require certain minerals, like copper, to be fully effective. The use of high dose ascorbic acid in patients with coronavirus may prove less or more effective for some, depending on whether their diets otherwise include bioflavonoids and critical minerals, like copper and magnesium.

Wouldn't you think that doctors who organize and supervise these trials would be knowledgeable about such details? I wonder if treatments of IV vitamin C which have claimed to cure cancer have also been synthetic...or natural. And if the experiment succeeds for some and not for others, how then will they account for that?

Most of the situations I'm familiar with used "high dose ascorbic acid." Dr. Linus Pauling surely used ascorbic acid. And, the Weston Price Foundation acknowledges the difference, but also recommends high dose ascorbic acid. Dr. Pauling was criticized when the success of his ascorbic acid trials could not be replicated by others. Knowing what little I know about the co-factors (bioflavonoids & minerals) needed for natural vitamin C or ascorbic acid to be effective, I just wonder if this is why high dose IV ascorbic acid works for some and not for others.
    Last edited by Islander; 02-16-20 at 04:08 PM.

I was really pleased to read of this trial, after so much discussion of vitamin C here over the years. I agree with Mr Wiz on the various additions needed, but it might be impractical when giving such high doses. I suppose the bioflavonoids etc could be given orally, but doctor's knowledge of nutrition is generally so poor I'm not surprised if they aren't aware of this. Is it mentioned in any of the studies on high dose vitamin C? If not, they wouldn't know about it.
    Last edited by Islander; 02-16-20 at 04:08 PM.

Last edited by Islander; 02-16-20 at 04:09 PM.

Interestingly, the 1000 mg capsules of vitamin C that I consume 4 to 8 times a day contain quercetin and bioflavonoids.

bmc, I think your post deserves its own thread. Are you able to delete and move - maybe to Blogspot or Medical ethics? It would get more attention on its own.

Administering all that Vic C intravenously should solve the problem of exceeding bowel tolerance and the need for many bed pans.

Thread Information