Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glucosamine For Arthritiis - New Advice to Stop?

Default Re: Glucosamine For Arthritiis - New Advice to Stop?

The NOW brand MSM that I buy at my local food co-op is loose powder and it doesn't taste too bad to me, but I wash it down with a gulp of coffee or food, just like all the other supps at breakfast time.

Islander, it comes in powder form, that you dissolve in water.

I remember Sulfur Dude on mercola years ago, constantly promoting his product. I never understood why mercola tolerated his sales pitches for so long, but eventually he did get dropped. I always assumed I got at least a minimum requirement from sulfur-containing foods.

As for joint relief, I don't know what to expect from any recommended treatment. I have swollen finger joints and difficulty making fists on both hands, which is why I now rely on dictation rather than typing. It's essentially the result of the same movements in hand weeding over 60 years. The pain's irrelevant, I don't mind that, but I wish I could reduce the swelling and regain the movement in my fingers. If you think MSM can do that, please say.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Islander, I think it's worth trying MSM for your condition. I've read about several studies where people were able to reduce swelling and joint pain after taking it from 1 to 3 months. Nothing ventured...nothing gained?
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-20-20 at 05:11 PM.

Perhaps. Perhaps.
    I've always taken a few basic supplements for "insurance," plus vitamin D & MK-7 for immune support in winter. Now I have to take the macular degeneration formula twice daily as well. For toenail fugus it's morning and night. This regimen is becoming a huge nuisance and I'm fighting back the suggestion to add yet one more to the menu, especially since I'll be waiting up to three months to see whether it even works.
    But with your encouragement, Wiz, I will seriously consider adding MSM to my next supplement order. Thank you.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Pattypans, does your solution reduce the swelling and inflammation in the joints, or does it merely relieve pain?
    To give a more informed answer I'd have to re-read the rather long article that led me to borax/boron. But I think it acts on the causes of arthritis, and that's why it relieves the pain. That said, if I go several days without it (which I often do, when one batch runs out and I haven't yet made another one, figuring it might be good to give it a rest for a few days anyway), eventually it seems a bit of pain returns until I make a new batch.

One thing I do remember from the article is that in countries where boron is fairly abundant in the soil, rates of arthritis are much lower, whereas in Jamaica, which has very little or none in its soil, 70% have arthritis! That makes me think the boron does much more than simply relieve pain. It's also a good detoxifier.

Last December,2019, I posted here on HH about enhancing my refried (RF) beans with beef stock, https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ad.php?t=19767 post #3, and my further intentions of experimenting with healthier bone stock.

Since then, I found at my healthfood co-op, what I believe to be a good brand of bonestock, so just like the beef stock, I slowly reduced it by boiling it down to a minimum and then stirring it into my organic version of La Preferida RF beans, (along with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, organic diced green LaPreferida chiles [without the throat swelling calcium chloride that the non-organic canned chiles use], and also cumin powder) for a good source of joint and skin health. And the addition of beef or bone stock to the RF beans does a nice job of enhancing it's taste.
    Last edited by grulla; 02-29-20 at 09:37 AM.

Grulla, are you suggesting that beef bone stock reduces the pain and/or the inflammation from arthritis? I don't see a connection.
    I often see claims made for "improving" skin. I have skin. All over. There's nothing wrong with it. It never changes, it doesn't deteriorate, I don't have blemishes or eruptions or rashes; I don't even have varicose veins (I've been told my legs are my best feature, and if you see my wrinkled visage, you'd probably agree)!! So I just fail to understand why anyone hypes a product that is supposed to be "great for skin." It's not like I'm going to someday become a handbag or a pair of shoes....

When they say 'skin', it is generally referring to the face, especially for women, The collagen in bone broth supposedly reduces wrinkles. Wrinkles are definitely up there as a first world problem!

Grulla, are you suggesting that beef bone stock reduces the pain and/or the inflammation from arthritis? I don't see a connection.....
    Collagen also for the joints and connective tissue...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    When they say 'skin', it is generally referring to the face, especially for women, The collagen in bone broth supposedly reduces wrinkles. Wrinkles are definitely up there as a first world problem!
    I resemble that remark . I am a 74 Y.O. male and fairly wrinkle free.

You're a man, so it doesn't matter, as Julieanne points out. Men can get away with anything, whereas women are expected to look youthful and spectacular.

You're a man, so it doesn't matter, as Julieanne points out. Men can get away with anything, whereas women are expected to look youthful and spectacular.
    I understand your point, however I was talking from a health PoV, not vanity. Dr. Nicholas Perricone and others have always stressed that your skin condition can be a bellweather indicator of ones internal health.

This discussion has now brought to my attention the importance of alphalipoic acid for skin health that had not occurred to me before. Since I have been getting periodic ALA IVs from my integrative doctor's clinic for the past 3 years, I'm now sure that may well be playing an important role in my good skin condition. In the below link, Dr. Perricone recommends oral consumption of 300 milligrams per day of ALA for improved skin, (among many other reasons).

I also see from my online search that Dr. Steven Barrett, Quack Watch, (the king of the allo-quacks), criticizes Dr Perricone. Just the mere thought of that adverse Quackwatch commentary, in and of itself, suggests that Dr. Perricone must be doing something right. https://quackwatch.org/11Ind/perricone/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/6...d-skin-health/ Especially subtitle Cosmetic Properties, 2nd paragraph Perricone. Also, one can search much about Dr. Nicholas Perricone, though some of his websites are somewhat commercial, selling his health products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information