Thread: Milk: Is It As Healthful As We Think?

Default Milk: Is It As Healthful As We Think?

Yella Hewings-Martin
    February 21 2020

Many people include milk in their diet, but few meet the daily recommended quantities. Experts now urge us to rethink these recommendations and explain why milk may not be as healthful as we think.

Dairy milk’s image has taken a bit of a beating, with the likes of oat, almond, and soy milk being hailed as environmentally friendly alternatives.
    But for many people of all ages, cow’s milk remains a firm favorite —sloshed over cereal, as a frothy companion to coffee, or enjoyed as a bedtime drink.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...Daily%20News#1
    Last edited by Julieanne; 02-23-20 at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: Milk: Is It As Healthful As We Think?

I never liked fluid milk, even as a child, so I felt vindicated when, as an adult, I became aware of the attitude that milk is designed for infants — in all mammalian species, including ours. I'll use it in baking and I consume it as yogurt, sour cream and cheese…period.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Same here, I wish I knew then what I've learned now in the past 8 years, with 20/20 hindsight, about ALL commercial dairy, as I blame it's (mis)use on my carotid vascular health.

Thanks to the newly FDA approved, minimally invasive TCAR procedure, https://silkroadmed.com/the-tcar-procedure/, my 60% blocked calcified right carotid artery has been safely cleaned out, but the left carotid artery is still 90% calcified occluded.

I have not consumed ANY dairy since 10/2019, but if I were to do so in the future, the RAW, FULL FAT dairy would have to come from A2/A2 heritage, grass fed livestock, and very little at that.
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...upplement.aspx

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-the-milk.aspx

https://www.westonaprice.org/book-re...thomas-e-levy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwi9iZvudXA
    Last edited by grulla; 02-23-20 at 12:09 PM.

Grulla, the focus of the first article is on supplements, which the medical community agreed at least a dozen years ago is not necessary, in fact is contraindicated, reversing previous health advice. Indeed, most of us get ample calcium from dietary sources like leafy greens, yogurt and cheese. I do consume a fair bit of dairy in the form of cream, sour cream, butter and cheeses… But in my case, I'm feeding DNA descended from multiple generations of northern Europeans on both sides of my family, and all those cultures were dairy-oriented. Again, I'm listening to my body — and my body says, one more slice of cheese, please!

Dangerous calcium supplementation (as well as dairy) is one of the main themes by Dr. Thomas Levy's book and video, "Death by Calcium". If you can spare 72 minutes, I strongly recommend watching that video that I linked to above. And yes, I too rely on much greens (mainly cabbage and spinach) and sardine bones, etc. for my safe source of calcium.

I might add to the above that detecting calcification in the carotid ateries is a simple low cost procedure using ultrasound.

And also, I have read so many comments on the health forums by posters who insist that milk/dairy is meant only for the newborn.
    Last edited by grulla; 02-23-20 at 12:42 PM.

I love liquid "organic" milk. This article highlights that most milk studies are of too short duration and fail to show all the benefits of drinking milk. I would add most studies don't include "organic" milk. Personally, low fat "organic" milk is the only thing that reliably eases my joint pain. **Some argue that nut and soy milks are more environmentally-friendly than cow's milk. I'm not so sure. According to Mother Jones, it takes "a gallon of water" to grow one (1) almond, and nearly five (5) gallons to produce a walnut. And, almond trees must be watered year round, even when dormant. That's a lot of water. On the other hand, cows drink water too, but when compared to the amount of water needed to produce nuts, I'm not sure nuts are a net gain for the environment.

As well as guzzling water, almond orchards also kill bees:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lling-bees-aoe

I was surprised by that, Julieanne, but I'd like to add one correction. The article complains about the vast land area needed to feed cows that produce milk. But let us not forget that these same cows, at the end of their life cycle, become beef for our burgers and steaks… So grazing cattle has a dual purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    As well as guzzling water, almond orchards also kill bees:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lling-bees-aoe
    Julieanne, thanks for the link. Very informative. I was unaware of the bee problem associated with almonds. Also, I didn't know oat milk is most environmentally friendly of all others. Great read!!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ....."But let us not forget that these same cows, at the end of their life cycle, become beef for our burgers and steaks… So grazing cattle has a dual purpose.
    Excellent point, Islander. One that I'd overlooked. ALL the great minds are right here at HH.

Veteran Member

I loved milk all my life. My tall, thin sister didn't like it, so she gave short chubby me her milk when my mother wasn't looking, ha! (Instead of switching glasses, she poured it into mine. I don't know why.) But when I quit drinking milk several years ago and figured out a substitute so I could continue to drink something milk-like with my cold chocolate (made from cocoa), I lost a lot of weight. Like you, Islander, I do eat a lot of cheese (usually made with raw milk) and organic yogurt, and butter once in a blue moon, not that I have anything against it. And like you, I've often figured that my mostly Irish, along with some English, heritage must make it okay for me. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Re bee deaths: I knew about this some time ago, as I had read an article about Australian bee keepers taking their bees to pollinate almond orchards every year - so many didn't return home.

Thread Information