Thread: 10 Best Vitamin Brands: A Dietician's Pick

Default 10 Best Vitamin Brands: A Dietician's Pick

Rachael Link
    February 24 2020

While it’s no secret that certain supplements can improve your health, not all vitamins and minerals are created equal.
    In fact, some brands are pumped full of fillers, additives, and unhealthy ingredients that can do more harm than good when it comes to your health.
    It’s important to choose a reputable brand that has undergone third-party testing and is sourced from quality ingredients.

Read more: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...vitamin-brands

Default Re: 10 Best Vitamin Brands: A Dietician's Pick

It's nice to see a list and know that there are quality manufacturers and distributors out there. Actually, I use only a few of the listed items, and while I appreciate knowing who makes the best of anything, it becomes unrealistic to order a single item from a single supplier. I've narrowed my sources to vitacost.com, lifeextension.com and iherb.com, in that order. Works for me!
    BTW, I just read today that excess vitamin B-12 has been correlated with a higher incidence of heart attacks. If you are getting adequate B-12 from your diet, you may not wish to supplement.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I was delighted to see the Vit D that the author touted was the Spring Valley brand that I buy in 5000IU from Wally. And I now also find the necessary accompaning Vit K2-MK7 from there as well. All the other supps I now buy come from my local healthfood co-op, my intgrative doctor's office, or Vitacost.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:43 PM.

OTOH, after giving this some further thought, I discovered that Spring Valley is actually owned by Walmart, so I hope that doesn't take away from the integrity of the product, and therefore the credibility of the author.

However, my last bloodwork test in 12/19 showed that my Vit D level was at an acceptable 58ng/ml in a year that I hardly did any safe tanning, so perhaps that SV brand Vit D is OK after all???

And lately I have resumed much safe tanning, winter weather permitting, so I'm looking forward to a 25hydroxyD increase from my future lab test this coming June, 2020.

https://www.reference.com/world-view...3cc8863996ef1d
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:58 PM.

I'm bothered by a "for-profit" online health site that's promoting the 10 best vitamin brands. To be clear, I have nothing against any of the brands. I've used more than a few myself. My suspcion grows out of Healthline.com's potential to profit from promoting these brands. In fact, "in small print" at the top of the article, it states the website may earn a commission should we buy one of these products by clicking the link below each item. How can we trust such a ranking. Truthfully, I believe these brands "paid" to be ranked #1. Healthline.com earns most of its revenue through online advertising---from the very brands it ranks in this article. It competes with WebMD, another "for profit" online site that generates revenue through advertisers, like vitamin and pharmaceutical companies. Bottom line: I DO NOT trust that these rankings are reliable. Caveat Emptor!!
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:11 PM.

Mr Wizard, you are so correct in that we always must follow the money. Even when we think that we are doing the right thing for ourselves, someone always is trying to make a fast buck in some unforeseen way.

Veteran Member

Their recommended bone health supplement contains calcium. (Maybe some of their other choices do, also; I just skimmed.) Dr. Thomas Levy says never to supplement with calcium.

One very important thing to look for in supplements is that they are GMO-free.

Quantum Nutrition Labs has some excellent supplements. I use their Eye Support, their melatonin (very small doses needed), and their B-complex drops (this last is pretty pricey for me, but I don't use it every day.) I believe their products are very pure. And for Vitamin C, we use Bronson's sodium ascorbate powder, which is pretty economical compared to many others when you check out how many grams are in a container.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Their recommended bone health supplement contains calcium. (Maybe some of their other choices do, also; I just skimmed.) Dr. Thomas Levy says never to supplement with calcium....
    Good find "Pattypans"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwi9iZvudXA

Patty, it only contains a small amount of calcium - 200mg. It is balanced by the other ingredients, but many doctors are still not aware of the need for these. Some are now wary of calcium since they spent so many years recommending high amounts without added vitamin D, K, magnesium etc, which led to problems.They now seem to recognise the need for vitamin D, but that's about it.

Both the surgeon who operated on my hip, and a physiotherapist I spoke to were not aware of the need for vitamin K - the surgeon said " Oh, vitamin K, the blood clotting vitamin". He had no idea of its other benefits.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:16 PM.

Chiropractors are in general far better informed on nutrition and supplementation than MDs. Even some nurses, in my experience.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information