Thread: 8 Million Americans Started Crowdfunding Campaigns to Cover Medical Costs

Default 8 Million Americans Started Crowdfunding Campaigns to Cover Medical Costs

Jake Johnson
    February 19, 2020

'Barbaric': 8 Million Americans Have Been Forced to Start Crowdfunding Campaigns to Cover Medical Costs, Survey Shows

"No one should have to beg for money to get the healthcare they need in the richest country on Earth."

An estimated eight million people in the U.S. have started a crowdfunding campaign to help pay for their own or a member of their household's healthcare costs, according to a survey released Wednesday.
    The poll, which was conducted by the National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago, also found that in addition to the millions who have launched crowdfunding efforts for themselves or a member of their household, at least 12 million more Americans have started crowdfunding efforts for someone else.

Read more: https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...m_medium=email
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 8 Million Americans Started Crowdfunding Campaigns to Cover Medical Costs

I'm going to get myself in trouble, but here goes anyway....So, why are are growing numbers of Americans becoming sicker and sicker? "Free healthcare for all" is important, but no one seems to be raising the more important issue: why are we growing sicker and sicker? When I talk to most of my friends and family about eating better, taking vitiamins, etc., they look at me with disgust, disapproval and mistrust. And, for God's sake don't bring up exercise. 90% of the population in Denmark own bicycles. 62% of bike owners bike to work or school daily. How many Americans own and use bikes daily? I'm just sayin.... When will the majority of Americans begin to accept responsibility for healthier lifestyles, instead of believing better health depends on free "sick-care" because the current U.S. system of care is not healthcare....it's sickcare. Sorry, I couldn't help myself????
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 03-01-20 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: 8 Million Americans Started Crowdfunding Campaigns to Cover Medical Costs

Your rant is perfectly justified, Mr. Wizard. Doctors have admitted that they rarely give advice to their obese patients to cut back on calories and ramp up the exercise, because they know their patients ignore all that healthy advice. They prefer the TV, the recliner, the Doritos... And some scammy pill that is supposed to magically result in weight loss. Is it the fault of our broken educational system? Or are we so anxious, so overworked, so depressed, so bored that we turn to food for comfort and satisfaction?

I would like to see nutrition and health courses taught in every school, beginning in kindergarten and every year thereafter until graduation. The same way we teach math, reading, and writing skills. Then, if I could wave a magic wand, every parent would teach their children healthy eating and lifestyle habits from birth...the same way parents teach proper hygiene and everything else. As with so many things, the earlier people are educated on healthy habits the more likely they are to stick with it. I'm dreaming...I know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    I would like to see nutrition and health courses taught in every school, beginning in kindergarten and every year thereafter until graduation....
    Actually, they already do, it's called home-ec and sometimes subsidized and supported by Betty Crocker. sarc

Home economics courses had disappeared from the school curriculum, but has apparently resurfaced as something different to the home-ec you and I are familiar with. And, it is offered as an "elective" course, meaning most students don't take it. In most school systems, home-ec is now called Family and Consumer Science. In addition to teaching a little about nutrition, the course also focuses on hospitality, professional childcare, interior design, fashion design, etc. The goal is to prepare students for the world of work, rather than building health through good nutrition, managing a home and family,etc.

In a perfect world, children would be taught to help in the kitchen as soon as they were able, stand on a chair to wash dishes (mind did) and begin cooking as soon as they showed an interest and were capable of working with a stovetop or oven. In the real world and I had this from my kids' first grade teacher many kids came to school not owning a toothbrush, and the only vegetable they were familiar with was french fries.
    I would like to see actual nutrition and food preparation classes at least offered if not mandatory at the high school level. We already have various career prep systems that work in our local school district, but I do see a need for essential living skills, like how to manage a credit card and keep a checkbook balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    I'm going to get myself in trouble, but here goes anyway....So, why are are growing numbers of Americans becoming sicker and sicker? "Free healthcare for all" is important, but no one seems to be raising the more important issue: why are we growing sicker and sicker? When I talk to most of my friends and family about eating better, taking vitiamins, etc., they look at me with disgust, disapproval and mistrust. And, for God's sake don't bring up exercise. 90% of the population in Denmark own bicycles. 62% of bike owners bike to work or school daily. How many Americans own and use bikes daily? I'm just sayin.... When will the majority of Americans begin to accept responsibility for healthier lifestyles, instead of believing better health depends on free "sick-care" because the current U.S. system of care is not healthcare....it's sickcare. Sorry, I couldn't help myself????
    I strongly agree to this. It's own health habits that comes into picture first, before you can say that you are safe or ready against the virus.

Thread Information