Thread: MOFGA Joins Lawsuit to Sue USDA over Organic Soil-less Loophole

Default MOFGA Joins Lawsuit to Sue USDA over Organic Soil-less Loophole

Sarah Alexander
    March b6, 2020

This week we joined a coalition of groups and organic producers that have filed a lawsuit challenging the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) decision to allow hydroponic operations to be certified organic.
    As many of you know we've been active for nearly 50 years in the creation, and implementation of strong organic standards, which are based on building healthy soil. We were involved in the writing of the Organic Food Productions Act, and our members expect the certified organic label to remain true to its intent of creating healthy food from healthy soil. The earliest organic certification programs (including MOFGA's) (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association) based their standards on this premise.

Keep reading: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....8-74a31d6c0356
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: MOFGA Joins Lawsuit to Sue USDA over Organic Soil-less Loophole

I've made my reservation to visit the Ronnie Cummins discussion event Monday, 3-16-2020 at the new enlarged, under construction, Silver City Food Co-op.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2577890612493374/
    Last edited by grulla; 03-06-20 at 11:58 AM.

Aww, you will love Ronnie, he's so authentic. I got to know him when our delegation spent 10 days with him in Cuba. What a dedicated man!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Aww, you will love Ronnie, he's so authentic. I got to know him when our delegation spent 10 days with him in Cuba. What a dedicated man!
    I just heard on the news that because NM got it's first 6 Corona virus cases this week, Gov. Grisham has declared a state of emergency that says among many things that meetings of more than 100 people will not be allowed. That makes me wonder what will happen to the Ronnie Cummins meeting at the new food co-op building this Monday, 16th. I'll be going into town tomorrow and see if I can find out more. Perhaps, if it's of any consolation, the meeting could be held in the new, large outdoor parking lot ???

I also want to take this opportunity to mention that all the many zillions of wild cedars (Juniper trees) around here are starting to expel their rusty orange pollen making my eyes water, especially in the early morning, sometimes causing confusion if that symptom may be Corona or flu related. The timing couldn't be worse.

Oh well, just as I expected, the Monday meeting with Ronnie Cummins has been canceled till further notice by the Silver City Food Co-op:
    In the interest of public health, all upcoming book signings with Ronnie Cummins have been canceled as we all take precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
    This includes the events in Albuquerque, N.M. on March 13; Flagstaff, Ariz. on March 14; Tucson, Ariz. on March 15; Silver City, N.M. on March 16; Santa Fe, N.M. on March 17; Colorado Springs, Colo. on March 18; Denver, Colo. on March 19; and Boulder, Colo. on March 20.
    We deeply regret having to cancel these events, but heres the good news: In the near future, youll have the opportunity to meet Ronnie and join the conversation via an online book event.
    Well let you know as soon as the online conversations have been scheduled.\

ALSO, at 1:43PM MDST, I'm just now watching an ABC News bulletin, that a national emergency is being declared due to the Corona virus.

Thread Information