Thread: F.D.A. Halts Overseas Inspections of Drugs and Devices, Citing Coronavirus

Default F.D.A. Halts Overseas Inspections of Drugs and Devices, Citing Coronavirus

Sheila Kaplan and Katie Thomas
    March 10, 2020

The agency said the spread of the virus globally prompted its decision. It had already pulled back from China, but this move will also affect India, a major generics manufacturer.

The Food and Drug Administration said on Tuesday that it would stop routine inspections of food, drugs and medical devices overseas through April, citing the worldwide spread of the coronavirus.
    The agency had already pulled back its inspectors from China, which is the largest source of raw ingredients for many drugs, like aspirin, ibuprofen and penicillin.
    But this global action means that F.D.A. inspections would also be discontinued in India, the world’s leading manufacturer of generic drugs. Last year, the agency said it conducted 3,103 inspections at overseas plants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/health/drug-inspections-fda-coronavirus.html?te=1&nl=coronavirus-briefing&emc=edit_cb_20200310&campaign_id=154&inst ance_id=16641&segment_id=22066&user_id=fc5f66db8d1 99362258b0e20e9725adc&regi_id=93723535
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:19 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: F.D.A. Halts Overseas Inspections of Drugs and Devices, Citing Coronavirus

If FDA stops overseas inspections but still allows drugs to enter the country, how does this keep potentially contaminated drugs from harming U.S. population. Physical "sample" inspections of drugs once drugs reaches U.S. border is not sufficient. The drugs should not be allowed in the country...period. The proposed course of action is a sure recipe for disaster. Shaking my head!!

Default Re: F.D.A. Halts Overseas Inspections of Drugs and Devices, Citing Coronavirus

This is why I have ordered refills of my thyroid and my anti-inflammatory prescriptions, even though I have ample on hand. I figure that another 30 or 90 days supply, as the case may be, will consist of medications that have already been inspected and are available domestically in pharmacies now. Once inspections stop, or once supply chains break down, or once quarantines are in place and we cannot leave home to pick up new medicine, it would be prudent to make sure we have some ahead.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information