Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eczema in children is increasing, but diet is not the cause

Default Eczema in children is increasing, but diet is not the cause

http://www.informedhealthonline.org/...se.507.en.html

Avoiding foods may do more harm than good / Elimination diets can only help children who have food sensitivity

Cologne, Germany: 20 March 2009.
    The number of children who have eczema has risen – one in five children are now affected by this skin condition, which is often associated with an allergy. Researchers are not yet sure what is causing this growing problem. Many people believe that certain foods are responsible, or at least make the symptoms worse. However, in information published today, the German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) stresses that parents should be cautious about eliminating important foods like milk from their baby’s or child’s diet. Elimination diets probably only help if the child has a proven food sensitivity or allergy. The Institute advises that most babies and small children with mild eczema will grow out of it, and parents will usually not have to change their family’s eating habits. Parents can keep up-to-date with the latest research on preventing allergies at the Institute’s website, informedhealthonline.org.

The increase in eczema in children remains a mystery

In the last few decades, the number of people with allergies has been increasing. One of the most common problems is eczema – a skin condition that causes redness and itching. Most of the small children who have mild eczema will grow out of it by the time they are teenagers. But for some, eczema will be a lifelong problem. Researchers still do not know what causes this common condition. However, researchers are making some progress on what can help prevent babies developing eczema and allergies. One of the myths has been dispelled: that diet is usually the culprit.

“Restricting children’s diets can harm their health and growth, so parents need to be careful about acting on unproven theories about diet and eczema,” said Professor Sawicki, the Institute’s Director. “Trials have shown that eliminating foods like milk or eggs from the diet of small children with eczema probably only helps if they have proven food sensitivities. Formal allergy tests like skin prick and challenge tests done with your doctor can help you get a more reliable picture of whether or not a suspected food really is causing the problem.”

Research knowledge on eczema in babies and children is growing rapidly

Eczema can be made worse by allergens like pollen, as well as irritants like soap or woollen clothing, according to the Institute. “Research knowledge on eczema and allergies is growing quickly, so parents need to make sure that the information they are relying on is based on up-to-date evidence,” commented Professor Sawicki.

For example, researchers are currently looking into the role of probiotics in the development of allergies in children, but the research here is still in the early stages. Parents can reduce their child’s risk of allergies by not smoking. The Institute monitors research results to identify new findings on allergy prevention.

The Institute's website, www.informedhealthonline.org, provides the public with easy-to-understand information about current medical developments and research on important health issues. If you would like to be kept up-to-date with the latest publications on the independent health information website, you can subscribe to the informedhealthonline.org newsletter.

Information:
    Eczema: Does eliminating particular foods reduce the symptoms?

Preventing allergies in babies and small childrenContact:

Hilda Bastian
    Editor-in-Chief, Informed Health Online

www.InformedHealthOnline.org

German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG)

Tel.: +49 (0)221 / 356 85-0, E-Mail: information@iqwig.de

Newsletter subscription: http://www.informedhealthonline.org/newsletter.69.en.html

Default Re: Eczema in children is increasing, but diet is not the cause

We have been selling soapnuts now for about four months and we have noticed quite a number of people coming back to us saying their skin problems have disappeared since they have been using soapnuts for their washing.

That is good to know!
    Eliminating gluten, or soy, or dairy to see if the ezcema clears up for a few weeks won't hurt-I disagree with the article.

Eczema is likely to have different causes in different people. For some, it will be food that is the causative factor, for others it is could be a contact allergy or even an allergy to something that is inhaled. In some cases it may not be an allergy at all but rather a physical reaction to a substance.

Just curious, Aaltrude-do you use the soap nuts just for laundry or do you make shampoo and other things from them?
    How do you use them in the laundry?

We use the soap nuts mainly for laundry. We do not have a dishwasher but you can use them in a dishwasher by attaching the washbag containing the soapnuts to the cutlery holder and using white vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. A friend who does this says her dishes come out gleaming. Soapnut powder can be used for general cleaning by mixing it with the water you are using for cleaning and soap nut powder can be used for washing your hair by mixing a smal amount with water to make a paste then using the paste for your hair. We have found several advantages to using soapnuts. There is no chemical residue left in your clothes, no chemicals going into the waste water system, ideal for septic tanks and they are very economical.

Wow, thanks for the tip on using them in the dishwasher!!! I do make my own detergent, but don't like the fact it uses borax. I'm going to have to find some bags and try this! I love soapnuts btw.

Here's more, this time from the BBC:

Eczema cases rise dramatically
    Monday, 23 March 2009

The incidence of eczema is increasing dramatically in England, data suggests.
    There was a 42% rise in diagnosis of the condition between 2001 and 2005, by which time it was estimated to affect 5.7m adults and children.
    One potential explanation for the rise is increased frequency of bathing and use of soap and detergents.
    A paper in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine says eczema is thought to be a trigger for other allergic conditions.
    GP records of over 9m patients were used by researchers to assess how many people have the inflammatory skin disorder.

It showed that by 2005, one in nine of the population had, at some point, been affected by eczema.
    The highest rate was in boys aged between five and nine.
    Prescriptions increased by 57% over the five-year study period and in 2005, GPs issued 13.7m scripts.
    Study leader Professor Aziz Sheikh, chair of the allergy and respiratory research group at the University of Edinburgh, said he expected to see a rise but it was fairly marked given the short time period.
    "What's quite striking is the very high proportion of people who are getting eczema, it's an incredibly common disorder.
    "Why eczema is important is increasingly we think eczema is a herald condition for individuals to go on to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and allergic rhinitis."
    The theory is that allergens may be able to cross the skin in people with eczema to cause disease whereas in people without the condition the skin is able to act as a barrier.

Environment
    He added that it is likely that a proportion of individuals have a genetic predisposition to develop eczema but that environmental factors also play a large part, and it is these which are likely to be causing the increase.
    "The environmental factors are frequency of bathing and use of soaps and detergents."
    It is also likely that some of the rise is due to better awareness and diagnosis.
    He added that more research was needed on whether diagnosing and managing eczema properly early in life could prevent people going on to develop other conditions.
    "The basic science suggests we can but the trials need to be done."
    Margaret Cox, chief executive of the National Eczema Society, said the general theory was eczema had been increasing but it was thought the rise had levelled off.
    "We do know there has been a huge rise in allergic disease of all sorts and what I would like to think is we're seeing some small signs of people concentrating their minds on eczema."
    She agreed that modern living seemed to be having an effect.
    "Water use dries up the skin and soaps and detergents degrease the skin.
    "We are using quite a lot of these products from an early age."

SEE ALSO
    Water softener eczema relief hope
    11 Jan 09 | Health
    Baby milk that could prevent eczema
    14 Dec 08 | Health
    Probiotics 'worthless' for eczema
    07 Oct 08 | Health
    Cats 'spark eczema in vulnerable'
    23 Jun 08 | Health
    Bath products 'can treat eczema'
    12 Dec 07 | Health
    Eczema baths 'a waste of money'
    03 Oct 07 | Health

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7955312.stm
    Last edited by Islander; 03-23-09 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander

One potential explanation for the rise is increased frequency of bathing and use of soap and detergents......

She agreed that modern living seemed to be having an effect.
    "Water use dries up the skin and soaps and detergents degrease the skin.
    "We are using quite a lot of these products from an early age."
    One possibility not mentioned in this article is that of the soaps themselves are causing a reaction. Most soaps on the market contain questionable substances. As I mentioned in another thread, since we have been selling soapnuts we have had quite a number of people come back to us saying that their skin problems have gone away since they started using the soapnuts.

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Aaltrude, are you selling them online? I've gotta get some more, only got enough for another month or so.

And I agree, fantastic things - I wouldn't go back to using anything else, my clothes are so soft and clean now!

No we're not selling on line, only locally.......
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 03-24-09 at 02:34 AM.

A question or two Izzy. Did you bring soapnuts back into the country with you? Did MAF allow you to bring them in through the border? Have you tried taking them into Aussie and if so are they OK with them entering the country with passengers?

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Haha, no I didn't unfortunately... my parents had ordered some years ago and never used them, they were sitting in the cupboard, so I helped myself to those.

I imagine MAF would have a fit if I tried bringing them back in, given the way I had to scrub the tiniest smidge of dirt off the back of one of my shoes with antibacterial soap before they'd let me past border control. Not sure on Australia, I suspect you'd need special clearance.

The UK on the other hand... they're pretty relaxed about what you can/can't bring...

Thx for the link by the way.

Izzy, there are lots of online sources. Mike Adams is one. Just Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Izzy, there are lots of online sources. Mike Adams is one. Just Google.
    New Zealand's Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) is very strict about bringing plant material into NZ therefore if living in NZ you do need to find a NZ source as all the MAF requirements will have been fulfilled by the importer. If you try to bring them in yourself without the proper clearance they are likely to be siezed at the border. All parcels coming into the country are X rayed for potential restricted materials including plant material. However Izzy now knows of a NZ source.

If you ever come to NZ do not bring any food or other plant material. If you do find you have reached the border with plant material, make sure you declare it. It will probably be siezed. If you try to enter the country with undeclared food or plants, you can be fined but you protect yourself against this possibility by declaring it.

I would have liked to take you up on your offer of Black Cohosh seeds but can't for this reason.
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 03-24-09 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information