Thread: Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

Default Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

Richard Hobday
    March 10 (2020)

Fresh air, sunlight and improvised face masks seemed to work a century ago; and they might help us now.
    When new, virulent diseases emerge, such SARS and Covid-19, the race begins to find new vaccines and treatments for those affected. As the current crisis unfolds, governments are enforcing quarantine and isolation, and public gatherings are being discouraged. Health officials took the same approach 100 years ago, when influenza was spreading around the world. The results were mixed. But records from the 1918 pandemic suggest one technique for dealing with influenza little-known today was effective. Some hard-won experience from the greatest pandemic in recorded history could help us in the weeks and months ahead.

Continue reading at:
    https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/corona...c-509151dc8065

Default Re: Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

grulla, thanks for posting this article. That the sun is a disinfectant for viruses is a message everyone needs to be aware of. The sun creates vitamin D by reacting with the skin, and the "magic" is in the vitamin D. Vit. D3 improves the immune system and helps to create more NK cells to fight virus. In fighting the H1N1 virus that hit Mexico in early 2009 and spread to almost 200 countries by the end of 2009, scientists determined that vitamin A (retinol) was an important partner to vitamin D in fighting off and recovering from the H1N1 virus. So, both vitamin D and vitamin A are needed together to most effectively fight viruses.

I came across a reference the other day (can't remember where) that A and D should not be taken together. Comments?

Julieanne, you raise an issue that's near & dear to my heart!! I've been exploring the interaction of fat soluble vitamins (vits. A, D, E & K) for a while. Based on my research, I will share what little I know on the subject:
    1. Fat soluble vits. are absorbed in the small intestines, and do influence the uptake of each other.
    2. Vitamin A reduces the absorption of vitamin D and vitamin E significantly.
    3. Vitamin E also significantly reduces the absorption of vitamin D.
    4. Vitamin E enhances the absorption of Vitamin A because the antioxidant properties of vit. E helped to prevent the oxidation of vit. A. This is at the expense of vit. E absorption.
    **Bottom line: Fat soluble vits. A, E, & D (don't have info. on vit. K) interact with each other and influence the uptake of one another. GOOD NEWS: All fat soluble vitamins are stored in the liver, adipose tissue, and skeletal muscles of the body. So, they are available when the body needs them. I don't see any harm in taking them together, recognizing that they compete for absorption. But, there's also no harm in taking them separately. As I learn more, I will share.

Thanks Mr Wiz, I was not aware of that. I think I will take them separately from now on - better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-17-20 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I came across a reference the other day (can't remember where) that A and D should not be taken together. Comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    But, there's also no harm in taking them separately....

When I lived back east over 40 years ago, I used to order combination Vit A 400 IU with Vit D 5000 IU, from a mailorder pharmacy in NYC. But today, as Mr. Wiz suggests, I avoid most all combination multi vitamins, and take all my vit. supps. in discrete components.
    And as far as Vit. A is concerned, that is something Julieanne reminded me of a couple years ago, for eye health, which I still do. However, the smallest dose of Vit A that I could locate is 8000IU, much too strong to be taken daily, as that showed up in my periodic 6 month blood test as liver "ash" inflamation. My integrative doc asked me if I had started drinking, and I responded "no", and went on to say that it was perhaps the strong daily amount of Vit A. Since I cannot find small, practical dose amounts of Vit A, (except combined with Vit D I mentioned above, that I no longer use), I simply reduced consumption of 8000 IU to only twice weekly, and that has resulted in a favorable blood liver test ever since. I don't know where one can find practical discrete component Vit A in small 400 IU capsules.

"Excess water-soluble vitamins are excreted in urine, but tissues store fat-soluble vitamins that aren't used." Perhaps "Mr. Wizard" might (re)consider this in certain fat soluble vitamin choices that he mentioned above. https://www.everydayhealth.com/
    Last edited by grulla; 03-18-20 at 09:02 AM.

grulla, thanks for posting this article. That the sun is a disinfectant for viruses is a message everyone needs to be aware of. The sun creates vitamin D by reacting with the skin, and the "magic" is in the vitamin D. Vit. D3 improves the immune system and helps to create more NK cells to fight virus. In fighting the H1N1 virus that hit Mexico in early 2009 and spread to almost 200 countries by the end of 2009, scientists determined that vitamin A (retinol) was an important partner to vitamin D in fighting off and recovering from the H1N1 virus. So, both vitamin D and vitamin A are needed together to most effectively fight viruses.
    As I recently posted here on HH, 2019 was not a good year for me to do much healthy sun tanning for Vit D, which I have been doing regularly since about 2014. However, since Jan 2020, we have had a lot of clear, mild, (albeit sometimes cold) warmish weather here in NM at 30*N latitude, so I have been taking much advantage of that recently for safe tanning, every chance I get.

And I might add that last Dec's 2019 periodic 6 month bloodwork testing showed my Vit D level to be at 58 ng/ml. Not too bad considering my lack of tanning that year, as my daily 5000IU Vit D3 (each with 100 mcg of Vit K2-MK7) must have been a big help.

However, back in Jan, 2020, I came down with the "flu" which only lasted 2 days, and a few days after that, some coughing and hacking started up which finally disappeared after a couple weeks. And I have been lacking some energy, getting tired and sluggish easily, requiring much (helpful) sleep. Was/is that the flu or a (brief?) bout of Corona??? I guess I'll never know for sure, unless I finally decide to go get tested.

But I do consume a lot of Vit C, one capsule of liposomal C with each of my 2 IF morning-noon meals, and small periodic amounts of Vit C., sodium ascorbate powder the rest of the day, so perhaps things could be much, much worse, and my tiredness is the result of my immune system working "overtime"??? Sleep is good.
    Last edited by grulla; 03-18-20 at 10:02 AM.

Grulla:
    I avoid most all combination multi vitamins, and take all my vit. supps. in discrete components.
    Do you not take a multivitamin/mineral? Mine, from LifeExtension.com, contains 5000 IUs of vitamin A. I don't see a problem with that. Of course there are plenty of other sources, in my case, lots of leafy greens, carrots and sweet potatoes.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla:

Do you not take a multivitamin/mineral? Mine, from LifeExtension.com, contains 5000 IUs of vitamin A. I don't see a problem with that. Of course there are plenty of other sources, in my case, lots of leafy greens, carrots and sweet potatoes.
    Based on my own experience, I would suggest that is still a lot of Vit A, and if you are taking that Vit A 5000 IU DAILY from a multivitamin source, you might only need to take 1/10th that amount from a discrete component capsule, if you can find a source of that??? Otherwise, that is why I take just one 8K IU capsule only twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ........However, back in Jan, 2020, I came down with the "flu" which only lasted 2 days, and a few days after that, some coughing and hacking started up which finally disappeared after a couple weeks. And I have been lacking some energy, getting tired and sluggish easily, requiring much (helpful) sleep. Was/is that the flu or a (brief?) bout of Corona??? I guess I'll never know for sure, unless I finally decide to go get tested.
    I neglected to mention that all the zillions of male Juniper evergreens in this wilderness area I live in are fraught with rusty red pollen that is slowly being released, and for me it is usually noticeable in the early morning hours in the form of watery eyes and nasal congestion, to one degree or another. That can really complicate things in trying to determine if one has flu or Corona or allergy symptoms.

As to the sunshine factor, I have been reading that the UVC rays are the most important in regard to protection from virus invasion. I had not been familiar with UVC, but only with UVA and UVB rays. As far as I have been able to determine thus far, here on Saint Croix, the only confirmed cases of Covid 19 are in people who recently had traveled off island and had become sick soon after arriving back here. As we still have plenty plenty sunshine here in the tropics, it will be interesting to see whether or not any local people who have not been traveling might come down with the illness. Just to be sure, I try to take my dog to the beach in the sunshine just about every day.

You have just sent me on a search for UVC.

So, "UVC refers to ultraviolet light with wavelengths between 200 280 nanometers (nm). Light in the UVC wavelength can be used for disinfecting water, sterilizing surfaces, destroying harmful micro-organisms in food products and in air."

This opened a whole new topic for me, which I've pursued in the coronavirus sub-forum.
    Last edited by Islander; 03-24-20 at 10:11 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The only way I know to get UVC rays is from tanning beds or mercury lamps. I just read that UNICEF recently debunked the idea of sun rays killing the coronavirus. Soooo confused???? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    Richard Hobday
    March 10 (2020)

Fresh air, sunlight and improvised face masks seemed to work a century ago; and they might help us now.....
    My late mom always told me the story about how my maternal American grandparents (who I never met) emigrated from the U.S. to the Ukraine, circa 1910, for my grandfather to be a foreign rep. for the German Pfaff Sewing Machine Co. As the story goes, they all got caught up in the pandemic of the time, (probably the so called Spanish flu) circa 1918-20, where my grandfather and 3 of his children succumbed to that pandemic. My grandmother and mom (who was just 3 Y.O. then) somehow managed to survive and escape, and relocated to the Baltic State of Latvia where Grandma took a position as a railroad hotel manager on the Latvian border with Lithuania.

Mainstream media has been doing it's best to ignore natural solutions to the battle against Corona virus. Solutions such as vitamins and sunlight. Now that William Bryan of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) presented for about 5 minutes during the April 23 White House Press conference on the effects of the UV rays in sunlight on any virus, including COVID-19, it seems mainstream media has begun working overtime to distract us from what was presented and fill our minds with the standard CDC protocol for isolating ourselves from the virus. It's definitely a battle between pharmacology and alternative methods.

Here's Newsweek as of this morning, April 25: https://www.newsweek.com/sunlight-ki...entist-1500012

Notice they are careful to include "However, scientists are only just beginning to study the impact of UV light on the novel coronavirus."

That in spite of the fact that it's already well known that UV light has always destroyed every virus ever tested against it. The article ends with a heavy blanket of CDC and WHO guidance on how to avoid the virus.

With some research and some help, I was able to identify some DHS internal documentation on what they have done for research via their child organization, the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC). This slide presentation looks like NBACC is going into this quite thoroughly:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4568...SST#from_embed

Thread Information