Thread: Copper and zinc: qestion for Mr. Wizard

Default Copper and zinc: qestion for Mr. Wizard

From vitacost.com's guide to immune support. What are your thoughts, please?

Take zinc along with copper,
    as excess zinc could affect copper levels in your body.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Copper and zinc: qestion for Mr. Wizard

The operative phrase here is "excess zinc." The RDA for zinc is about 11 mg. for men and 8 mg. for women. Likewise, the RDA for copper is about 1 mg. We can easily get these amounts from a "healthy" diet....not the SAD diet. In fact, many foods--especially fish & seafood, most nuts & seeds, organ meats, like liver--contain ample amounts of both zinc & copper. We get into trouble when supplementing with high levels of zinc, like up to 50 mg. daily, or 20 mg. of copper. High, excessive amounts of one can create huge deficits for the other. But, again, in most food sources, zinc & copper exist together and the body handles it just fine. Bottom line: if supplementing with more than 10 mg. of zinc and more than 2 mg. of copper per day, I would take them at separate times of the day.

Wow, I've been taking one 50mg zinc tablet everyday ever since I can remember, and without any copper supps???

I've based my macular degeneration formula on the PreserVision formula, with a couple of minor additions like astaxanthan and bilberry extract. Their formula includes 2 mg of copper and 50 of zinc. I have been taking them separately, one in the morning and one at night, but apparently that isn't strictly necessary. I would never have bothered to add either of these to my modest regimen were not for the diagnosis. Since my diet is almost entirely organic and homegrown, I try to keep my list of supplements to an absolute minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    Wow, I've been taking one 50mg zinc tablet everyday ever since I can remember, and without any copper supps???
    So, the Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institutes of Health considers 40 mg. daily as the Tolerable Upper Limit for "elemental" zinc. Commercial supplements come in many forms, and contain varying amounts of "elemental" zinc. For example, one would have to consume 385 mg. of zinc gluconate to get 50 mg. of elemental zinc, or 220 mg. of zinc sulfate to get 50 mg. of elemental zinc, or 50 mg. of zinc oxide to get 40 mg. of elemental zinc. So, it's important to know the type of zinc you're consuming and how much elemental zinc is in it. **Bottom line: Unless one has chronic problems with wound healing, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, Wilson's disease, or some other extraordinary medical condition, it is highly like that exceeding the 40 mg. upper daily limit for elemental zinc is unnecessary and potentially detrimental over the long haul. Keep reading: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zi...hProfessional/

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I've based my macular degeneration formula on the PreserVision formula, with a couple of minor additions like astaxanthan and bilberry extract. Their formula includes 2 mg of copper and 50 of zinc. I have been taking them separately, one in the morning and one at night, but apparently that isn't strictly necessary. I would never have bothered to add either of these to my modest regimen were not for the diagnosis. Since my diet is almost entirely organic and homegrown, I try to keep my list of supplements to an absolute minimum.
    I agree at those amounts--50 mg. of zinc and 2 mg. of copper--it is best to take separately to be on the safe side. FYI, PreserVision contain zinc oxide, a form of zinc high in elemental zinc. Taken as prescribed, one would get about 60 mg. of elemental zinc, or 20 mg. above NIH's upper daily limit. While the higher limits may actually help to improve AMD, I can't help but think what other problems this amount may be creating in other parts of the body???

The zinc I take twice a day says Zinc 50 mg. ... as zinc picolinate & zinc gluconate. Knowing that, how much elemental zinc would you say I'm getting?
    Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:59 PM.

Islander: When a tablet contains two different types of zinc like yours (picolinate & gluconate), it is difficult to determine the amount of each. That said, I offer the following for your consideration. If your 50 mg. tablet contained all picolinate, you would probably get about 15 mg. of elemental zinc. Taken twice per day, you'd end up getting about 30 mg. of elemental zinc. Gluconate has less elemental zinc. So, if your 50 mg. tablet contained all zinc gluconate, you'd probably get about 8 mg. of elemental zinc. But, your tablet contains both. So, let's assume each 50 mg. tablet contains 25 mg. of picolinate & 25 mg. of gluconate. If true, then you'd probably get about 12 mg. of elemental zinc; taken twice per day, you'd end up around 24 mg. of elemental...well below the upper limit of 40 mg. Also, not all the zinc you take will be absorbed. The bioavailability of picolinate and gluconate is below 50%. Lastly, in addition to improving AMD, zinc supplementation promotes steady blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity. So, I think all things considered you're probably on the right track.

Thank you so much for the reassurance, Mr. wizard. I really appreciate the depth of your knowledge when it comes to these kinds of issues. I'll just keep on the regimen that I am observing now. It does seem to be working.

Your regimen is definitely working for you...in multiple ways!!!

Thread Information