Thread: Pregnant Women Turn to Home Births to Escape Virus

Default Pregnant Women Turn to Home Births to Escape Virus

Emily Shugerman
    Mar. 16, 2020

At the Puget Sound Birth Center, where Seattle families flock for help with home births or a room in their candle-lit, hospital-gown-free birth center, Micki Persons usually presides over 30 to 35 births per month. In the last two weeks alone, she’s already added six more.

In neighboring Olympia, midwife Rachel Cook had five clients switch from a hospital birth to a home birth in the last two weeks. Kat Barron, a former home-birth midwife, announced two days ago that she was coming out of retirement. Five people have already reached out for her assistance.
    “This is what we’re all seeing. We really need midwives stepping up,” Barron said. “Because would you want to go to a hospital right now? It’s pretty terrifying.”

Continue reading at: https://www.thedailybeast.com/pregnant-people-turning-to-home-births-during-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic
    Last edited by Islander; 03-25-20 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Pregnant Women Turn to Home Births to Escape Virus

Home birthing is an oldtime tradition that many libertarian minded folks might want to opt for, in order to avoid many big guv. hospital regulations, costs, hassles, etc., and this corona virus epidemic is just one more reason why. However, a lot of informed forethought and knowledge is absolutely critical.

https://midwiferytoday.com/web-artic...ebirth-choice/

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...me-births.aspx

And to be fair and balanced, here is a website article from someone with some legitimate opposing thoughts, and who probably also thinks his/her big pharma, allopathic, AMA big government intertwined profession may be threatened. You decide.
    http://www.skepticalob.com/2020/03/h...portunity.html

Pregnant women are rightly concerned about contracting coronavirus. However, the WHO data and a narrow study out of Wuhan, China have shown the virus may not be a major threat to pregnant women. A study of nine coronavirus-positive pregnant women in Wuhan--all in their 3rd trimester--found no evidence that COVID-19 had been transferred in utero. Importantly, The Lancet published a study that showed Chinese breastfeeding mothers had not passed COVID-19 onto their babies. In addition, the CDC website states that "no infants born to mothers with COVID-19 have tested positive for the virus." CDC, however, has not taken a firm stance on whether it's possible or not for the virus to be passed from mother to baby. So, that said, it appears an abundance of caution is still needed by mothers-to-be and new moms. But, the narrow studies so far provides a modicum of early evidence that COVID-19 does not pose any greater threat to pregnant or breastfeeding women. So far.....??
    Last edited by Islander; 03-25-20 at 04:02 PM.

I don't have to check out Grulla's links because I chose to give birth to my first-born at home. And I wish I could have had the opportunity to do that with the other three.
    ā˛¤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

My first baby was born in a tiny clinic run and staffed by a lovely woman who was a nurse, a midwife, and a nun. It was in a town near the Mexican border. My second was born at home. I'm so glad I was able to avoid the hospital.

Thread Information