Thread: Blood Pressure Drugs Make Covid-19 Virus Lethal

Default Blood Pressure Drugs Make Covid-19 Virus Lethal

Bryan Hubbard
    March 25 2020

Blood pressure medication is one factor that's making the COVID-19 virus lethal. The drugs increase the chances of viral pneumonia and fatal respiratory failure, new research has discovered. People who are taking an ACE inhibitor or an ARB drug for heart problems should stay at home and not meet up with people, say researchers from Louisiana State University.

Dr Malcolm Kendrick, a UK GP, estimates that people taking one of the drugs are four times more likely to die from the virus.

The drugs also increase the chances of catching the virus in the first place. ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors in particular increase the receptors around the lungs that the corona virus also binds to.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2020/03/b...us-lethal.html

Default Re: Blood Pressure Drugs Make Covid-19 Virus Lethal

I've ended up in a medical traffic jam.
    I have bursitis in my hips, which makes walking or being on my feet for any length of time, extremely painful. I have had two rounds of Cortisone shots which failed to alleviate the problem. I do PT exercises, which have strengthened my core and lower back but have not eased the pain. So I took ibuprofen, not daily, but whenever I expected to be on my feet or walking any distance for any length of time. But after an incident that drove my blood pressure up to 215/88, I learned that the NSAIDs, all of them, raise blood pressure. My PCP is reluctant to prescribe blood pressure meds, disliking their side effects and knowing that if I got off the pain relievers and ramped up my exercise, I could bring my BP back down to where it used to be, 112/68. But I had been prescribed an anti-inflammatory, Meloxicam, and thought I might give that a try. It must have been effective, because the pain upon arising in the morning had fallen to nearly zero. However, I continued to check my BP a couple of times a week at the Walmart machine and it wasn't coming down much at all. I had to go online to confirm that Meloxicam was, sadly, another NSAID.

So here I am, at a crossroads between the pain and the poison. Is that what they call a Hobson's choice?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

So sorry Islander. I have been following your situation closely, as there are certain parallels with my back injury situation. Of course, now that all non-emergency related doctors' appointments have been cancelled here, due to the increasing Covid19 cases, I guess I will never know. So here I sit.

Islander, I'm so sorry you're still dealing with pain from your bursitis. You truly have Hobson's choice--the absence of a real alternative. However, you may want to consider getting off pain relievers and bringing down your blood pressure....just temporarily, until this coronavirus pandemic subsides. According to data coming out of Italy and China, the majority of the patients who died from COVID-19 had "high blood pressure." In Italy, 76% of patients who died from COVID-19 had hypertension. I would ramp up natural pain relievers, like curcumin and ginger, and suffer the pain rather than run the risk of a double wammy of the virus and HBP.
    Keep Reading: https://www.businessinsider.com/hype...-deadly-2020-3

Veteran Member

Islander, I wonder if boron would help bursitis. Did you ever end up trying it? In looking it up just now, I found this article:

https://actualcures.com/pain-relief-...in-relief.html.

It doesn't mention bursitis but does talk about hip joint pain, among other things. I'm not familiar with the site. I feel for you; hip pain can be especially difficult to bear, I think. Big (socially distanced) hug for you!
    Last edited by Pattypans; 03-30-20 at 08:07 PM.

I've had bursitis twice, and know how incredibly painful it can be. It must be especially difficult for you, with your very active lifestyle. Unfortunately I have no helpful suggestions, as one cortisone shot did the trick for me. Hope you find some form of relief soon.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-30-20 at 09:57 PM.

Maurya, here in Oz people can contact their doctor by phone and other methods (Skype, Zoom?) . No restrictions on visits, but you are greeted by a nurse outside, asked a number of questions and have to use hand sanitiser before entering.

Sounds way too sensible, Julieanne.

Thank you, Mr. Wizard. I d/c'ed the NSAIDs a couple of weeks ago and let go of meloxicam about a week ago. The old familiar pain upon waking has returned, and takes about 30 minutes to walk off. The irony is that the blood pressure machine I used to use just down the road at Walmart has been taken out of service now that COVID-19 discourages our touching anything unless we are actually going to buy it. I'm just going to assume that my BP has dropped until such time as I can check it again. I refuse to invest any more dollars in a cuff of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Islander, I wonder if boron would help bursitis. Did you ever end up trying it? In looking it up just now, I found this article:
    https://actualcures.com/pain-relief-...in-relief.html.
    Thank you for thinking of me, pattypans, but I don't think it would help since the bursa are outside and around the joint, not a part of it. In researching it I have seen mention of being able to drain the bursa of their fluid, but I'm still paying medical bills for previous treatment and I'm not ready yet to investigate another expense.

So, above I noted that 76% of the Italian patients who died after contracting COVID-19 had high blood pressure. After reading this, I now wonder if the culprit was high blood pressure itself or was it the medication they were taking to treat their high blood pressure that hastened their death???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    ...."After reading this, I now wonder if the culprit was the high blood pressure itself or was it the medication they were taking to treat their high blood pressure that hastened their death???
    According to a May 1 study by New York University's School of Medicine, "drugs that are widely prescribed to treat high blood pressure DO NOT make patients more susceptible to coronavirus infection or to severe illness if they do become infected." Read more here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/h...ronavirus.html

Thread Information