Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Influenza Vaccine And Respiratory Virus Interference

Default Re: Influenza Vaccine And Respiratory Virus Interference

Excellent point, Pattypans!! I was not aware of WHO's earlier pronouncements about transmissability. I only began following the WHO guidelines and data a month or so ago, focusing primarily on guidelines to countries relative to tracking the virus, understanding its epidemiology, testing & case management, suppressing transmission....etc. But, agree wholeheartedly, WHO's January mis-statement on transmissability was a huge mistake.

I went looking for a source. The best I could find, from the CDC:
    "The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)."

The WHO was in my search terms but didn't lead me to an answer.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

WHO said it on Twitter:

From https://techstartups.com/2020/03/22/...uman-to-human/

To further compound the virus outbreak, WHO said on January 14 that coronavirus could not be transmitted to humans because Chinese authorities found no clear evidence. In a post on Twitter, WHO said: Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China????????. pic.twitter.com/Fnl5P877VG World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) January 14, 2020.

Yup, I found it this morning on CNN: "The WHO has been criticized for a January 14 tweet noting that preliminary investigation by Chinese authorities had found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus..."

This was a huge misstep by the WHO. My military friend says: It only takes ONE "Aw Shit" to wipe out 100 "Atta Boys."

I adore creative military responses. They are always right on target, no fluff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    It only takes ONE "Aw Shit" to wipe out 100 "Atta Boys."
    Love this response!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    This was a huge misstep by the WHO. My military friend says: It only takes ONE "Aw Shit" to wipe out 100 "Atta Boys."
    More on the WHO's response:

I believe the following facts show that, had the WHO responded with appropriate transparency and caution to the information sent by Taiwan on Dec. 31, and made it known, rather than still denying human-to-human transmissiblity two weeks later (taking China's word for it), the world would have far fewer deaths from COVID-19 and fewer cases of it. We also would probably be seeing far fewer tragic human and economic repercussions, both on personal and national levels.

The article this information is summarized and paraphrased from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21T0BA

Taiwan has now communicated with the world the content of the email it sent to the WHO Dec. 31, warning of an atypical pneumonia in Wuhan. In case people don’t read the whole article, here are the basics:

1. The contents of the email sent by Taiwan to WHO on Dec. 31 as read by Taiwan’s Health Minister, Chen Shih-chung:

“News resources today indicate that at least seven atypical pneumonia cases were reported in Wuhan, China,” Chen said, reading the email.

“Their [Chinas’] health authorities replied to the media that the cases were believed not to be SARS, however the samples are still under examination, and cases have been isolated for treatment,” he continued.

“I would greatly appreciate if you have relevant information to share with us.”

2. The WHO denies that Taiwan mentioned the possibility of human-to-human transmission in the email.

3. In response, Chen said that any health professional would recognize that the isolation mentioned was itself a warning.

4. Taiwan acted promptly, on Dec. 31 (screening arrivals from Wuhan), and then further on Jan. 2 (activating its emergency operations center), which experts credit for Taiwan’s excellent results in controlling the spread of the virus there early.

Were there political reasons for the WHO ignoring that vitally important email? They do not recognize Taiwan as a country, but consider it a part of China; Taiwan is not a member of the WHO for that reason.

If the world had heard Taiwan’s concerns on Dec. 31, as did the WHO, imagine what a different world it might be today.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 04-15-20 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    And also, Bolsanaro is batshit crazy� Just another extremist right-wing dictator wannabee.
    Left-wing, right-wing, or some blend in between, what's the difference, they're all big, corrupt, obtrusive, control freak governments...and they all want to steal your 'chickens'. Here's 5 minutes of Evita's (Madonna) "Don't Cry For Me Argentina": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD_1Z8iUDho

Not so, Grulla. At this moment in time we could divide the known world into roughly two halves.

1. Countries headed by an extreme right tin-pot despot: the Philippines, Brazil, Australia, Hungary, Austria, Bulgaria, Greece, Spain, Estonia, USA, to name a few

2. Democratic countries, stable and at peace: Iceland, New Zealand, Estonia, Germany, The Marshall Islands, Namibia, Bangladesh, Croatia, Norway, Ethiopia, Taiwan, Lithuania

And can anyone tell me what one salient fact makes each one of these groups different from the other?

Veteran Member

Seems we're veering into politics here . . .

The W.H.O. is funded through "assessed" contributions from member states (countries) and "volunteer" contribtuions. The United States in 2019 was the largest contributor of assessed funds, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was the largest volunteer contributors. It donated $530 million--more than any other member state or any other volunteer organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    And can anyone tell me what one salient fact makes each one of these groups different from the other?
    Might the salient fact be adult women leaders?

Ding ding ding ding ding ding!
    I'm not intentionally flirting with politics. I'm making an observation about international relations. My observation is that countries helmed by women seem far more likely to be stable democracies than the opposite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information