Thread: Phage Capsid Against Influenza: Perfectly Fitting Inhibitor Prevents Viral Infection

Default Phage Capsid Against Influenza: Perfectly Fitting Inhibitor Prevents Viral Infection

Forschungsverbund Berlin
    March 30 2020

A new approach brings the hope of new therapeutic options for suppressing seasonal influenza and avian flu: On the basis of an empty -- and therefore non-infectious -- shell of a phage virus, researchers from Berlin have developed a chemically modified phage capsid that "stifles" influenza viruses. Perfectly fitting binding sites cause influenza viruses to be enveloped by the phage capsids in such a way that it is practically impossible for them to infect lung cells any longer.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0330134243.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 04-03-20 at 07:07 AM.

Default Re: Phage Capsid Against Influenza: Perfectly Fitting Inhibitor Prevents Viral Infect

Phage capsids sound like a great therapy. I understand that the allicin in raw garlic works the same way--killing the flu virus before it infect the lungs. In fact, this article describes raw garlic as "an antiseptic agent" against influenza viruses.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nfluenza_virus

Default Re: Phage Capsid Against Influenza: Perfectly Fitting Inhibitor Prevents Viral Infect

I have no idea how much garlic one would have to eat as a protection against viruses. I suppose any amount is better than nothing, but as no studies have been done, we are left to do the best we can. I plan to make another batch of fermented garlic soon as I gave the first one to my son. He is more at risk than I am - or he was before he started working from home last week.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 04-04-20 at 10:29 PM.

I've read studies that suggest 2-3 cloves per day (split between meals) enables the immune system to "help" fight off viruses. I've read nothing yet that would suggest raw garlic is a "cure" for the coronavirus. But, RAW garlic has proven anti-viral, anti-bacterial, & anti-microbial. Almost everything I've read indicates that heating or cooking garlic inactivates the enzyme that creates allicin, thus losing the medicinal benefit of garlic. Chop it, smash it for 10 - 15 minutes before eating it reaw for the highest medicinal benefit.

Sounds like good advice, Mr. Wizard.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information