Thread: Scientists Create Mutant Enzyme That Recycles Plastic Bottles In Hours

Default Scientists Create Mutant Enzyme That Recycles Plastic Bottles In Hours

Damian Carrington
    April 9 2020

Bacterial enzyme originally found in compost can be used to make high-quality new bottles

A mutant bacterial enzyme that breaks down plastic bottles for recycling in hours has been created by scientists.

The enzyme, originally discovered in a compost heap of leaves, reduced the bottles to chemical building blocks that were then used to make high-quality new bottles. Existing recycling technologies usually produce plastic only good enough for clothing and carpets.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ttles-in-hours

Last edited by Julieanne; 04-17-20 at 07:23 AM.

Default Re: Scientists Create Mutant Enzyme That Recycles Plastic Bottles In Hours

The first mention of PET plastic was in the 7th paragraph without an explanation as to what that acronym meant, did I miss something???

Over the past few years, I had been cleaning and piling various plastics to bring to the county landfill for recycling until they discontinued that effort last year on account of trade with China, as I was told, and to dispose of plastics as normal, weighed in, landfill garbage.

Another year or two prior to that, the county landfill discontinued recycling glass also. But now, a recycling venture is being developed with a non-profit org. and the town of Silver City, to recycle and pulverize glass back to sand for various purposes. This news link explains:
    http://www.scdailypress.com/site/202...c-development/

A short while ago, I emailed the glass recyclers with this note: "When and where will we be able to bring glass to you for recycling? Please include location, hours, rules & regs, thanks." I now wish I had also included this plastic recycling article link as well, so I'll have to bring it to their attention with another email a little later.

Default Re: Scientists Create Mutant Enzyme That Recycles Plastic Bottles In Hours

grulla, I get the impression that plastic recycling in Australia is more common than the US, and we are all familiar with what can be recycled and what can't. PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, and most people (I hope) know it can be safely recycled. We all have a separate bin, and are encouraged by local councils to understand the various numbers stamped on plastic products.

I hate unexplained acronyms too, but many become so commonly known that they are no longer spelled out. But I agree - articles should always spell out the full name before reverting to an acronym.

Thread Information