Thread: How does coronavirus kill?

Default How does coronavirus kill?

How does coronavirus kill? Clinicians trace a ferocious rampage through the body, from brain to toes

By Meredith Wadman, Jennifer Couzin-Frankel, Jocelyn Kaiser, Catherine Matacic

April 17, 2020

On rounds in a 20-bed intensive care unit (ICU) one recent day, physician Joshua Denson assessed two patients with seizures, many with respiratory failure and others whose kidneys were on a dangerous downhill slide. Days earlier, his rounds had been interrupted as his team tried, and failed, to resuscitate a young woman whose heart had stopped. All shared one thing, says Denson, a pulmonary and critical care physician at the Tulane University School of Medicine. “They are all COVID positive.”

As the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 surges past 2.2 million globally and deaths surpass 150,000, clinicians and pathologists are struggling to understand the damage wrought by the coronavirus as it tears through the body. They are realizing that although the lungs are ground zero, its reach can extend to many organs including the heart and blood vessels, kidneys, gut, and brain.

Read more here: how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes

Default Re: How does coronavirus kill?

Maurya: Thanks for posting this most informative article. Clearly, from reading this, COVID-19 can attack almost every organ in the body. What really jumped out at me was how the virus attaches to cells in the nose & throat because these cells are rich in Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptors. ACE2 receptors are found throughout the body and these receptors are the keys that open the cells and allows the virus to attack the tissue. Because ACE2 is the enzyme that regulates blood pressure, it made me curious about the role ACE inhibitors blood pressure medication may be playing. My quick research uncovered a Louisiana State University study that showed ACE inhibitors, in experimental models, increased the number of ACE2 receptors, potentially placing those infected with the virus at greater risk for more severe complications. **The article cautions that people taking prescribed ACE inhibitors should NOT stop taking their medication, but they should avoid large crowds, mass events, and all persons with respiratory illnesses.
    Keep reading: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0323101354.htm

That's sobering information. After learning that all NSAIDs raise blood pressure, and having experienced that personally, to a frightening degree, I discontinued use of any NSAIDs, including the anti-inflammatory pain reliever that had been so beneficial for the bursitis in my hips. My doctor was unwilling to place me on any blood pressure control medication, so that appeared to be the only option left to me.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Above, I commented on an "experimental (animal) model" that suggested that ACE inhibitor medication prescribed to control high blood pressure could place COVID-19 patients at greater risk. **GOOD NEWS: According to a recent New York University Medical School study, ACE inhibitors and ARBs DO NOT put COVID-19 patients at greater risk. The study examined over 12,594 patients--over 5,894 with COVID-19 and some with high blood pressure--and determined there was no "clinically meaningful" difference between COVID-19 patients taking high blood pressure medication and those who did not. Read more here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/h...ronavirus.html

Since my BP is normally about 112/68 I'm going to continue to heed my doctor's advice and maintain my low BP without additional medications of any kind.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I'm certain this new study provides a great deal of comfort for those taking high blood pressure medications.

Thread Information