Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine To Take 5.2 Years To Develop, With 5% Chance Of Success

Default Covid-19 Vaccine To Take 5.2 Years To Develop, With 5% Chance Of Success

Brian Shilhavy
    April 21 2020

The pharmaceutical trade publication, Fierce Pharma, is a publication targeting investors in pharmaceutical products, such as vaccines.
    This week (April 2020) they published an article titled:
    "Don’t count on a COVID-19 vaccine for at least five years, says AI-based forecast"
    Investors want to be assured that a new product does not get rushed to market too quickly, bypassing safety regulations, for obvious reasons.

Read more: https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/me...ce-of-success/
    Last edited by Islander; 04-22-20 at 11:17 AM.

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine To Take 5.2 Years To Develop, With 5% Chance Of Success

This is not surprising. Maybe it's time for us to learn how to discipline ourselves, if the vaccine will take years, we will have to practice social distancing everywhere anytime for as long as there's no vaccine.

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine To Take 5.2 Years To Develop, With 5% Chance Of Success

Quote Originally Posted by Havanana View Post
    for as long as there's no vaccine.
    Havanana, if you read through some of the many comments here on Covid-19, you will see that there are many things we can do to improve our immune system that don't rely on waiting for a vaccine. Given that the 'flu vaccine can be unreliable anyway, especially for older people, I won't be getting any newly developed vaccine. I haven't had 'flu for 30 years, and my last cold was probably 10 years ago, and I don't get a 'flu shot.

I'm not waiting five years to give someone a hug!

I agree with Julianne. Like her, I haven't had cold or flu for half a lifetime or more, because I take careful measures to keep my immune system primed. And knowing the failures and dangers and all the risks of vaccination, I hope not to have to contend ever with mandatory vaccine policies.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Havanana, welcome to Hawkes' Health! Please start a thread in the New Members forum to introduce yourself to us. Where do you live? What do you do in life? Do you have some specific health concerns? Let us hear from you, please!

I've never had a flu shot. And, they're free everywhere I go. Even when a vaccine is developed against COVID-19, I will not get that one either, unless it becomes an "absolute" matter of life or death.

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    unless it becomes an "absolute" matter of life or death.
    What will we do if it's mandatory? I guess I'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:47 AM.

Julieanne, I do disagree with you just a bit. The thought of mandatory vaccinations, especially for people our age, has been on my mind for many years now. Bit by bit, this possible reality becomes closer to reality. We do need to have a carefully thought out plan. This might be something which we could begin to share with each other here on our favorite forum.

Maurya, I guess I meant I don't know what the consequences will be if I refuse them. Fines, prison? Which would I choose? If you pay a fine, do you still have to take the vaccine/s? I haven't thought much beyond that, so it's a good suggestion, thanks.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:28 PM.

Any plan to avoid mandatory COVID-19 vaccination depends on which entity is requiring such vaccination. Below are a few things to keep in mind when coming up with a plan:
    1. Based on a 1905 Supreme Court Decision (Jacobson vs. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11), the Federal Gov't is NOT permitted to require mandatory vaccination (Read more here: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/
    2. States can mandate vaccinations, but only by laws passed by the state legislature. So, a governor, for example, could not take such action by Executive Order.
    3. State vaccination laws are all over the place. Some allow personal & religious exemptions, while others do not. But, they ALL allow for "heatlh" exemptions. Hint, hint!! But, where the rubber really meets the road is with school-required vaccinations. Even with a state-wide law on vaccinations for school children, a close look at individual school districts show a wide variance in how these requirements are implemented even within the same state. **Not a good track record for enforcing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine.
    4. EMPLOYER-based mandatory vaccination is the most likely route. In the same way hospitals can make influenza vaccination mandatory, other employers could require mandatory vaccines as a condition of employment. **However, an employer could be challenged legally on such a requirement if the State legislature has not passed a mandatory vaccination law. National employers operating businesses in multiple states could run into problems with such a requirement depending on whether there was/was not a state mandatory law. In addition, federal laws regulating how employers collect, use & safeguard individual employee medical information could make employers a bit squeamish about undertaking such a task.
    I'll continue to crystallize and share other thoughts over time.

Veteran Member

Mr. Wiz, once again, thank you for that excellent information!

The key to making something mandatory without actually mandating that thing is to have something to withhold. For example, it is not mandatory for kids to get vaccinated, but if they want to attend school, then they must submit. So what parent does not want their child to attend school?

A very big target is the elderly population. Again, perhaps vaccinations are not mandatory, but only if the person wants to continue to receive one's Social Security and Medicare (in the US), into which we have paid for our whole working life, and without which most of us would have a hard time making ends meet. This concept already has had a test run. The VA (Veteran's Administration) has been withholding medical care to patients who refuse to submit to flu shots. Almost any one of us has some necessary feature of life which could be withheld if one refuses.

Thank you, Mr. Wizard, for that deep background… And Maurya, for another perspective that could impact a significant demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    The key to making something mandatory without actually mandating that thing is to have something to withhold........Almost any one of us has some necessary feature of life which could be withheld if one refuses.
    You're absolutely correct!! We all may be forced to give up something if we choose to not to comply with a mandatory vaccination directive. Growing numbers of parents are homeschooling their children rather than submit to the required 16 vaccines needed for a child to attend school. Hundreds, if not thousands, of nurses and other hospital employees are quitting their jobs or being fired for refusing to submit to a mandatory influenza shot every year. Ultimately, if a COVID vaccine becomes mandatory, there won't be any easy choices....either way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information