Thread: A Possible Explanation for the COVID-19 Racial Disparity— And a possible solution

Default A Possible Explanation for the COVID-19 Racial Disparity— And a possible solution

Jason Kidde MS, MPAS, PA-C
    April 18, 2020

The disproportionate number of COVID-19 fatalities among African Americans is being widely reported across America and achieving a better understanding of why is of the utmost importance and urgency. Social scientists have attempted to explain the discrepancy by occupational exposures to the service industries, crowded residential spaces, and a greater incidence of morbidity second to poor healthcare access. The social aspect of this disease should not be trivialized and undoubtedly contributes substantially to mortality. In fact, while I plan to make the case for a biological contribution to disease burden, it is more than likely that this biological mechanism is in fact driven by social disparity, and that should not be lost on us.

Keep reading: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...RckjyZU5Xo5UhU
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: A Possible Explanation for the COVID-19 Racial Disparity— And a possible solution

Thanks Islander for posting this very interesting article. That some researchers postulate that hypertension "may be" a major factor in the disproportionate number of COVID fatalities among African American seems reasonable. But, the reason for hypertension (low L-Arginine & nitric oxide) seems curious. The body makes its own L-Arginine--an amino acid, and is plentiful in most foods, including meat, poultry, fish, dairy, seeds, nuts, etc. etc. The researchers suggest that higher amounts of L-Arginine help to produce more nitric oxide, which helps blood vessels to relax and lower blood pressure. It's hard to believe anyone would be low in L-Arginine. Perhaps, the real problem is the inability to convert Arginine into nitric oxide.

Default Re: A Possible Explanation for the COVID-19 Racial Disparity— And a possible solution

Could there be a connection to vitamin D deficiency? African Americans are often low in this vitamin.

Julieanne: Bingo!!! Ding!! Ding!! You must be clairvoyant. Vitamin D3 aids in the production of nitric oxide. As you noted, African Americans, overall, tend to be woefully deficient in D3. This could very well explain the deficient nitric oxide levels and hypertension....more so than the L-Arginine connection. Kudos to you for pointing this out. I never thought of the vit. D3 - nitric oxide connection. Keep reading: https://www.cor-restor.com/pages/vitamin-d3

I think it's important that I pass this on to my son-in-law, who is African-American. I'll have to find out if he's ever had his D level checked.
    Sometimes I hesitate to mention health issues with family members, since unsolicited advice is often not welcome.
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:01 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

This time of the year everyone's D level is probably down a little, which is why I increase my D3 supplementation during the winter/early spring. However, the apparent association among D3, nitric oxide, & hypertension is reason for almost everyone to supplement with D3.

Thread Information