Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Default Re: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ..."Which reminds me of something another one of our members mentioned previously. He eschews a multivitamin/mineral for reasons I can no longer recall, but chooses to supplement each one singly.
    Guilty as charged. That would me!! I have 3 shelves in my kitchen cabinets and a shelf in my refrigerator dedicated to all of my supplements. I take individual supplements for a number of reasons, but primarily because I don't have the exact same supplementation needs everyday. Individual supplements allow me to take what I need in the amount needed, depending on my daily diet and/or any special physical conditions I may be dealing with at the time. It's time consuming and expensive, but I love being able to manipulate supplementation to meet my specific needs.

Default Re: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Well, I have been called god's least patient woman. I have elected to put the responsibility for my daily nutrients on the back of Life Extension. I think their two-per-day formula covers all my needs and then some. Of course I have to mess around with it... Everyone knows I take mega vitamin C, plus exta D, and I also take that formula I devised and described earlier for macular degeneration — so yes, I too am guilty of playing with the daily menu!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yet another source saying selenium is critical to recovering from (but I'd guess protecting from) COVID-19.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/05/...ion-up-to-500/

This article ends with the statement that

"In the United States, 18% to 19% of adults and children use a dietary supplement containing selenium. Selenium deficiency is rare in the U.S."

I'm wondering what the COVID-19 death rate would be in a state where selenium is naturally high, but also where hardly any of the population lives in cites which life contributes heavily to deaths from virus, flu and pneumonia.

Or also, in which states that have soil replete in selenium are deaths from COVID-19 pushing the total number of deaths for that state well above average? This can be determined. I will post on this separately, as it may show just how dangerous certain lifestyles are, in spite of the fact that a considerable portion of the population supplements with selenium.

Too overwhelming! Somewhere — it might not have been on HH — I saw either a map, or statements, or both, showing vast areas of China rich in selenium and corresponding areas low in selenium, and the related level of COVID-19 infection. Perfect correspondence.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The amount of selenium in the soil is just "part" of the equation. Equally important are diets and medical conditions that rob the body of selenium. If one consumes large amounts of mercury and/or has certain medical conditions, like thyroid issues, irritable bowel disease/disorders, and/or a weakened immune system, it will be difficult to maintain adequate selenium. One source estimates that 62 million Americans are diagnosed with various digestive disorders each year. Read here: https://www.endo-world.com/resources/e-learning-patient-education/general-guides/overview-of-digestive-diseases/

Thanks Mr. Wizard. It sounds like for those of us living in moderate to low selenium areas, a supplement is a good idea!

Veteran Member

I supplement with Brazil nuts, a few each day until we run out. We order once a month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information