Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Default Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Natasha Meredith
    29 April 2020

An international team of researchers, led by Professor Margaret Rayman at the University of Surrey, has identified a link between the Covid-19 cure rate and regional selenium status in China.
    Publishing their findings in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers using data (up to 18 February), investigated possible links between selenium levels in the body and cure or death rates of those with the Covid-19 virus in China.
    Selenium is an essential trace element obtained from the diet (i.e. fish, meat and cereals) which has been found to affect the severity of a number of viral diseases in animals and humans. For example selenium status in those with HIV has been shown to be an important factor in the progression of the virus to AIDs and death from the condition.

Keep reading: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/link-i...RH_bE80gwM8xNU
    Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:39 PM.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Covid-19: Supplements Shows Dietary Selenium Influences Outcome Of Covid-19 Disea

That's great! Remember, Brazil nuts are high in selenium. They say that one gives you the amount you need. I usually have some on hand and have a few almost every day, largely for my eyes' sake. Also, they're delicious.

Default Re: Covid-19: Supplements Shows Dietary Selenium Influences Outcome Of Covid-19 Disea

Julieanne, this seems to be a flawed copy of the original story. It has no author and while it isn't exactly plagiarized, it is a very close copy of what was actually published by the University of Surrey. Consequently I've taken the liberty of replacing your OP with the Surrey story, signed and dated.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Selenium bolsters the immune system against infection, especially viral infections. Selenium RDA for "healthy" adults is about 55 micro-grams, or 55 mcg. As Pattypans mentioned, a Brazil nut contains 10 times the RDA, or 554 mcg. Three (3) ounces of salmon, shrimp, crab, sardines, and most other seafood contain between 40 to 65 mcg. However, people on dialysis, or with a compromised immune system, or digestive issues, like Crohn's, IBS, etc. may have difficulty absorbing selenium, requiring an increased intake to reach the RDA. The amount of selenium from plant sources varies greatly, depending on how much is in the soil. Soil concentrations of selenium tend to be higher in U.S. Northern Central, Midwestern, and Western states than in Northeast and Southern states. Selenium supplements--in the form of selenomethionine--are about 90% absorbed, compared to about 50% absorbed for other forms, like selenium selenite or selenate.

Default Re: Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

Of course I had to go run and look at the label on my selenium and behold, it is the selenomethionine. However, each tablet is 200 µg so I think that one a week, in addition to the amount in my daily multivitamin and mineral supplement, ought to be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Of course I had to go run and look at the label on my selenium and behold, it is the selenomethionine. However, each tablet is 200 µg so I think that one a week, in addition to the amount in my daily multivitamin and mineral supplement, ought to be sufficient.
    I take 2 - 3 (100 ug) selenomethionine pills per week, and hope that's enough. I know I'm in a low selenium zone here in the Carolinas and it's very hard to get a way to add selenium to the soil, although sea minerals sources like kelp may help.

I found this 2004 study on selenium and virus recovery over a month ago. It deals with the polio virus. Same conclusions as the Surrey study.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/80/1/154/4690273

So the virus / selenium connection has been known for years. Selenium is critical to our immune system as it's in enzymes that speed the reaction of glutathione binding to free radicals. People short on selenium are, by definition, lacking in glutathione effectivity.

http://www.immunehealthscience.com/b...-selenium.html

I've posted this before on some forums, but don't know if there's a place to save a link on this form, so I'll post this again. This site lets you determine an approximate selenium content for the soil in each county of the USA. There are similar maps for most countries in the world.

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/...es/se/usa.html

You need to click on a region to zoom in, then click (or hover over?) a county to get a number. I think I remember than anything below about .18 ppm should be considered insufficient.

I also have found many references to an article in the British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research by Lipinski in 2015 that claim Selenium is an absolute protection against viruses. You may look up the BJMMR article and obtain a PDF, but her's one of the many articles based upon that paper:

https://www.jerrywdavis.com/lipinski...rus-2019-ncov/

Maybe looking out for my selenium intake is what has protected me from colds and flu almost every Winter for the last 15 years?

My multivitamin-mineral already furnishes 200 µg daily. Now I'm not sure that I need to supplement anything at all, ever. But I'm going to check Stoneharbor's map before I make a final decision.

So, the map shows my soil at .04-1.4, among the lowest in the state. Thanks for linking to that map, Stoneharbor. That will definitely influence my intake!

Yes, I am now in a lowest-level county also. Fortunately I still buy produce and meats from other areas. I think the salt blocks that provide selenium might be a good thing for your animals, though they are formulated for beef. Make sure local beef suppliers know about this. I think the feed stores always stock the appropriate supplements though as the salt block suppliers should be up to date on this. In the Rocky Mountains, they make sure the cattle don't get supplemental selenium though as it's at almost toxic levels in many soils there.

https://championschoicesalt.com/prod...-mineral-salt/

Astragalus (milkvetch) is a selenium accumulator (well so is mustard!). Different species to different degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astragalus_bisulcatus

I'm not sure if you could grow any species of Astragalus on your land if it isn't rich in selenium. Might be worth a try. You might have to import soil from a coastal county just to grow the plant?

They sure are pretty plants. I've grown vetch, and have it show up wild sometimes, but never planted it except as a Winter cover mix.

https://rockymountainsflora.com/deta.../Milkvetch.htm

My multivitamin-mineral already furnishes 200 µg daily. Now I'm not sure that I need to supplement anything at all, ever. But I'm going to check Stoneharbor's map before I make a final decision.

So, the map shows my soil at .04-1.4, among the lowest in the state. Thanks for linking to that map, Stoneharbor. That will definitely influence my intake!
    I believe 200 ug is equal to 200 mcg., which is far below the 400 mcg. upper tolerable daily limit. However, more importantly, one must consider other factors when deciding how much selenium to supplement with. For example, certain fish high in mercury, like swordfish, sea bass, bluefish, grouper, mackerel, croaker, sablefish, perch, orange roughy, shark, and tuna, are selenium robbers. Also, certain medical conditions, like thyroid issues (thyroid tissue contains more selenium than any other organ tissue in the body), digestive issues, like IBS, and chronic conditions that weaken the immune system, like HIV, all require higher amounts of selenium. And, consider that not all selenium is absorbed by the body. As noted above, selenomethionine is 90% absorbed, while other types are about 50% absorbed. Bottom line: I think the 200 ug in your multi vit., in addition to what you get from your diet, is probably adequate. Personally, I increase my selenium supplementation when I'm not feeling well; otherwise, I take a 50 mcg. selenomethionine tablet twice per week.

My selenium supplement says 200mg: '%daily value 364%'. That seems so high I have only been taking it once a week. But I do eat tuna and mackerel and have hypothyroidism, so maybe I could safely take a little more. Thank you for that info Mr Wiz. When mercury showed up in a hair analysis some years ago the advice was to add selenium to combat the mercury. It wasn't very high, but I didn't want any amount! Don't know how long it took, but another hair analysis five years later showed it gone. At the time, selenium supplements were only allowed up to 150mg ( from memory), but that has changed.

My state has very low levels of most minerals: it has old, weathered, sandy soils - we used to be known as Sandgropers. Cattle are given selenium in salt licks, as farmers seem to know more about nutrition than doctors!

Just found an old message discussing selenium. The maximum you could buy in the past was 25mcg, not 150mcg. That's a big leap that now you can buy l 200mcg.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM.

Mr. Wizard, I am once again impressed by the deep level of detail you bring to this forum. Fish… Thyroid… Selenium robbers… A lot to absorb here. I have to balance all of these pros and cons and competing forces against the basic amount supplied by my daily multivitamin/mineral. Which reminds me of something another one of our members mentioned previously. He eschews a multivitamin/mineral for reasons I can no longer recall, but chooses to supplement each one singly. When I look at the number of ingredients on the label of my Multivite, I can only imagine the science required of him to maintain all of these in his medicine box in the correct dosage for daily supplementatian. Would that individual care to comment here on how he gets it done?

Fish… Thyroid… Selenium robbers… A lot to absorb here.
    Islander, I remember reading a Mercola article once that seemed to mention that the ocean sources of Mercury (shellfish, sardines, etc.) also happen to contain about enough selenium to help remove the Mercury from your body, all other necessary nutrients being provided.

Out of laziness, I don't feel like looking up and sifting through all Mercola's articles on Mercury, as he's mentioned it probably 6 dozen times when talking about the values of krill oil over fish oil, so I'll provide a couple of links showing that you do get considerable selenium from shellfish, etc. and it's probably just what you would need to help remove any mercury the fish products might harbor:

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/selenium/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...ting-sardines/

And here are some specifics on selenium in seafood probably more than offsetting the mercury content. This may be the article I read that I though Mercola wrote! Kresser is always thorough:

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-w...are-misguided/

I'll check out the Kresser story. Meanwhile, much as I love all shellfish, despite my living an hour from the coast, they are out of my pay grade. I used to enjoy Maine shrimp when they were available, but the shrimp fishery is close to collapse and there have been none on the market for several years. Knowing what those jumbo shrimp are fed on, I don't touch them. Once a summer I splurge on an order of fried clams with the bellies...aaah, heavenly!

Islander, although I am not the person in question, I do choose to take individual supplements, rather than a multi vitamin. Every time I learn more information, it seems that there just never will be a combination supplement which contains the exact proportions of ingredients that is appropriate for my individual needs. Once I have things figured out, I just put the individual supplements into one of those boxes with the dividers, and take them each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    Islander, I remember reading a Mercola article once that seemed to mention that the ocean sources of Mercury (shellfish, sardines, etc.) also happen to contain about enough selenium to help remove the Mercury from your body, all other necessary nutrients being provided.
    Stoneharbor, I agree with you completely. The fish I described above, generally have more mercury than selenium, and thus robs the body of selenium. However, fish like salmon, pollock, halibut, cod, sole, snapper, and flounder all contain more selenium than mercury. Thanks for helping to clarify this matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information