Thread: Reknowned Chinese Scientist Dubbed 'Bat Woman' Warned Of Potential Covid-19 Epidemic

Default Reknowned Chinese Scientist Dubbed 'Bat Woman' Warned Of Potential Covid-19 Epidemic

9News
    May 1 2020

A Chinese scientist dubbed the 'Bat Woman of Wuhan' warned the public of a virus outbreak from bats up to 15 years prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dr Shi Zenghli was the first to identify the gene sequence for COVID-19, having years of experience doing studies on viruses in bats and other animals.

In 2005, her research discovered that bats are the natural carrier of SARS-like coronaviruses, and in 2015 she predicted the devastation of such animal-borne viruses could have on humans in the modern world.

Read more: https://www.9news.com.au/world/coron...8-76d44c891eaa

Default Re: Reknowned Chinese Scientist Dubbed 'Bat Woman' Warned Of Potential Covid-19 Epide

A new study (Feb. 2020) out of the University of California Berkeley concludes that bat viruses are so deadly because bats have "high-fuctioning, powerful immune systems," which allow viral pathogens to linger and exist within the bat for perhaps its entire life--replicating at a speed not seen in other species. Remarkably, the average life span of most bats is 20 years, while some types of wild bats can live up to 40 years. So, when these viruses that have matured for years within the bat spill over into other animals and humans, the results are often deadly. As human populations encroach further into wild bat habitats, it is likely that bat viruses will increasingly pose significant challenges. See UC Berkeley study here: https://elifesciences.org/articles/48401

Default Re: Reknowned Chinese Scientist Dubbed 'Bat Woman' Warned Of Potential Covid-19 Epide

I have male and female bat houses on my barn. I always welcomed the community because of their efficiency in controlling mosquitoes. Sadly, I haven't seen evidence of bats locally in years. I would dearly love to have them back, since we don't actually make contact. I have no fear of bats!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Now that you mention it, I have seen few bats around here recently compared with several years ago, when we had big groups of bats every evening. Too bad.

Thread Information