Thread: Chidren Are Falling Ill with Baffling Ailment Related To Covid-19

Default Chidren Are Falling Ill with Baffling Ailment Related To Covid-19

Joseph Goldstein & Pam Belluck
    May 5 2020

No children are known to have died so far, but several have ended up in intensive care with mysterious symptoms that include enlarged coronary arteries.

One child, 8 years old, arrived at a Long Island hospital near death last week. His brother, a boy scout, had begun performing chest compressions before the ambulance crew reached their home.
    In the past two days alone, the hospital, Cohen Children’s Medical Center, has admitted five critically ill patients — ages 4 to 12 — with an unusual sickness that appears to be somehow linked to Covid-19, the disease caused by coronavirus. In total, about 25 similarly ill children have been admitted there in recent weeks with symptoms ranging from reddened tongues to enlarged coronary arteries

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/n...ronavirus.html
    Last edited by Julieanne; 05-06-20 at 08:41 AM.

Default Re: Chidren Are Falling Ill with Baffling Ailment Related To Covid-19

The effect of COVID-19 on the blood vessels is not unexpected. It is primarily a disease of the circulatory system as explained here:
    https://www.townsendletter.com/article/online-covid-19-ards-cell-free-hemoglobin-ascorbic-acid-connection/

A lengthy paper that explains how vitamin C (with support from melatonin) is needed to clean up the mess as a virus tears apart a red blood cell, invading it, and sometimes allowing heme to get out into the plasma where it causes havoc.

Further, the precise weak point in the circulatory system that would cause symptoms such as those in Kawasaki disease (mentioned in this NY Times article) is the lining of the vessels, the endothelium.

Contained in the endothelium is some amount of vitamin C as it is part of the protection of the vessels, keeping it resistant to invasion of toxins an leakage of nutrients. Low vitamin C levels, either before a viral attack, or once it has begun and has depleted vitamin C, will leave blood endothelial cells vulnerable, leading to inflammation. When you have free Heme released into the blood by a viral attack on red blood cells as described in the above link, you have a situation that requires a lot of vitamin C. Once it is gone from the blood plasma, and unable to nourish the endothelium, inflammation is to be expected.

Here's more on the importance of vitamin C in the blood vessels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3869438/

Looking a third time at the townsendletter citation above I find a couple of interesting paragraphs:

"Children naturally have high melatonin when they are under the age of nine. However, in addition to ambient light exposure at night, the use of mobile phone, smart phone, tablets, computers and television at night can severely lower or inhibit production of melatonin."

And earlier in the document:

["While SARS-CoV-2 activates inflammasomes initiating cytokine storms"] ... "if the body does not have adequate melatonin to control inflammasomes72 , then the depletion rate of ascorbic acid will be exponential. Furthermore, if vitamin C cannot be recycled and regenerated by erythrocyte Cytb561 transmembrane enzymes, iron centers in hemoglobin may start to oxidize into the unstable ferric redox state. In the ferric form, hemoglobin will start to lose heme to form cell-free hemoglobin (CFH) at substantially higher rates than in the ferrous forms47 This is also the point when the patient may start to experience dyspnea, or labored breathing." [Meaning the beginning of damage to the lungs].

Notice that the ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrom) symptoms in the lungs only show up if ascorbate is not present or can't be recycled (via melatonin). But melatonin is usually plentiful in children under 9. So for such children who have adequate vitamin C to control the amount of "cell-free-heme" or CFH, and prevent the start of a cascade of free-radical chain reactions, you will see inflammation of the blood vessels, but not ARDS showing up in the lungs.

It seems the children are lucky if they have some ascorbate reserves and some melatonin to protect the ascorbate so it can recycle as an anti-oxidant. Older people obviously have a greater tendency to be short on both these protective items, and nearly always fall prey to ARDS when their condition worsens.

So it's a reminder to stay loaded on vitamin C (and take the straight L-ascorbate, not sodium ascorbate if you have an emergency and need to absorb a lot and quickly) and wear your blue blocking glasses when confronting computer and cell phone screens. That prevents loss of melatonin, but to really generate it, you need to get some UV light into your eyes every morning. That starts the process in your lower brain which will result in Melatonin being generated in time for parasympathetic nervous system to put it to use at night.

Thanks Stoneharbor. These articles are terrifically explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    Here's more on the importance of vitamin C in the blood vessels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3869438/
    This article triggered my outrage. How soon we forget the influence of Linus Pauling, the only individual ever to receive two unshared Nobel prizes. How is it that anyone is still thinking the only use for vitamin C is to prevent scurvy? As a matter of fact, Sayer Ji calls osteoporosis "scurvy of the bones" and I think that in addition to the other measures I incorporate for bone health, the fact that at 70 I still had the bones of a 30-year-old is due to my mega intake of vitamin C daily. There is no end to the functions that ascorbate performs in the human body and I dare say that many still remain to be discovered.
    I concluded (later corroborated by research) that I could take up to 18 g of C a day when threatened by a sore throat, without ever reaching bowel tolerance… solely because when the body is being attacked by an invader, the need for C increases correspondingly and it will use pretty much all it can get. In fact, I have another article connecting the coronavirus with ascorbate, waiting in the wings.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    How soon we forget the influence of Linus Pauling, the only individual ever to receive two unshared Nobel prizes. How is it that anyone is still thinking the only use for vitamin C is to prevent scurvy? ....
    I concluded (later corroborated by research) that I could take up to 18 g of C a day when threatened by a sore throat, without ever reaching bowel tolerance… solely because when the body is being attacked by an invader, the need for C increases correspondingly and it will use pretty much all it can get. In fact, I have another article connecting the coronavirus with ascorbate, waiting in the wings.
    I'm not going to let you forget that you have more on Coronavirus and ascorbate, Islander. It's been a long time with no HH at all, so I'm catching up on threads I was interested in and found this one.

I'l try to find it. Kind of lucky for me that we've been down for a week, because overnight spring arrived in Maine and I've been up to my eyeballs preparing garden beds and in one case at least, driving a long distance to pick up a couple of very necessary cannabis plants — the one hard-to-find strain that my patient with Crohn's disease feels is the most helpful for him.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information