Thread: Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Default Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Ian Sample, Science editor
    May 22, 2020

It would be hard to overstate the importance of developing a vaccine to Sars-CoV-2 – it’s seen as the fast track to a return to normal life. That’s why the health secretary, Matt Hancock, declared the UK was “throwing everything at it”.
    But while trials have been launched and manufacturing deals already signed – Oxford University is now recruiting 10,000 volunteers for the next phase of its research – ministers and their advisers have become noticeably more cautious in recent days.
    This is why.

Keep reading: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...mage=BBZAQhA|2
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Any vaccine which is administered annually or monthly will have the "side effects" of said vaccine, some of them disabling or deadly, multiplied accordingly. the thought of vaccinated people spreading the illness to others, whether they become less ill or not, just gives me the willies. Already we need to be careful of people who are shedding viruses from existing vaccines. Imagine if people are getting vaccinated for Covid every few months, and spreading the virus the whole time in between...

I read somewhere today that the ranks of the anti-vaxxers are growing in the face of the development of a COVID-19 vaccine. I will cite the source if I can find it again, but be assured that I am among them!

We should remember that most of the anti-vaxxers actually are former vaxxers who have learned the hard way, having disabled or dead loved ones, or are disabled themselves.

I'm neither pro nor anti-vaxx - it depends on the circumstances. I had the smallpox vaccine when I was a small child, and I'm glad that particular disease has been eliminated. I also had a newly developed vaccine after the birth of my first child to prevent any further children from being born 'rhesus babies'. This was due to my and my husband's blood type and not uncommon then.

My children had the usual vaccines - but that was 50+ years ago, when things were a little different. Fewer vaccines, and probably less additives. I certainly won't be getting a Covid vaxx, but I'm hesitant to say I'm entirely opposed to vaccines in general. There are some pretty horrible diseases out there.

Development of a COVID vax is still--and probably will remain--a guessing game. It is common knowledge that vaccines in general are less effective on the elderly. This article provides of a glimpse of how the vaccine may be marketed to the elderly: "even though the vaccine may not prevent people from contracting the virus or provide long-lasting immunity, older people should get the vaccine to simply prevent infections from progressing to life-threatening pneumonia." And, there's the marketing strategy....look out for it.

I agree with Julieanne. I too got the smallpox vaccine and I'm grateful the disease is now extinct. I'm glad that my children got vaccinated against polio. I have occasionally had to get a tetanus shot when exposed to risky conditions. Beyond that, however, having read the information that we have published here on HH, I would prefer to rely on my own immune system than to risk the side effects of common vaccines.

Thread Information