Thread: Are Thermal Cameras A Magic Bullet for Fever Detection? There's Not Enough Evidence

Default Are Thermal Cameras A Magic Bullet for Fever Detection? There's Not Enough Evidence

Christopher Pike
    May 27 2020

During the frenzy of the past few months to secure resources for the fight against COVID-19, the demand for technologies that promise to detect symptomatic individuals has been sky-high. However, not all proposed solutions work as advertised.

Thermal cameras are already being implemented as a means of detecting people with fever-like symptoms in high-traffic areas such as hospital entrances, shopping centres and office buildings, and potentially mass-attendance sporting events when they resume.
    People who show up as having high temperatures can then be directed to further assessment and encouraged to isolate to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

Read more: https://theconversation.com/are-ther...ce%20to%20know

Default Re: Are Thermal Cameras A Magic Bullet for Fever Detection? There's Not Enough Eviden

I'm not sure I understand what these are. Entering a doctor's office or an audiologist's office, I've had my temperature taken with a handheld instrument aimed at my forehead. When I googled "thermal camera" I found items ranging from several hundred to several thousand dollars, which seems unlikely to be what was used to take my temperature, so I'm confused.
    ā˛¤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Are Thermal Cameras A Magic Bullet for Fever Detection? There's Not Enough Eviden

If these are used in 'high traffic' areas, they are likely the expensive type.

Thread Information