Thread: There's Only One Way To Contract Covid-19 When Grocery Shopping

Default There's Only One Way To Contract Covid-19 When Grocery Shopping

Mura Dominko
    May 5 2020

Grocery shopping has become one of the most anxiety-inducing activities in our daily lives. From crowds that are sometimes impossible to avoid to concerns surrounding what we should and shouldn't be touching when we're outside of our home, the potential for contracting the coronavirus seems overwhelming. However, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief, because the CDC is effectively eliminating some of these fears with an adjustment to their safety guidelines.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/Health/wel...ys/ar-BB14nILK
    Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:41 PM.

Default Re: There's Only One Way To Contract Covid-19 When Grocery Shopping

This is welcome news to those freaking out about contracting the virus via their groceries. Of all the ways CDC speculated that one could contract the virus, groceries was never a real concern for me. The only real change I made grocery wise was not folding my paper shopping bags for several days, providing any virus on the bags a chance to die before I folded and tucked them away for future use. (I use paper bags to line my trash can.)

I have a dear friend who is 85; his wife is roughly 15 years younger; both are disabled to one degree or another. He is terrified of the groceries. Friends shop for them and deliver the bags to an empty-ish room. He wants to leave them in place for two or three days till all the "bugs" are dead; she grabs them, refrigerates the chilled items and puts everything else in its place. I don't know how they manage to live together.

Many people here, including myself, bring cloth tote bags from home to the supermarket. These are no longer permitted in the store. We are obliged to accept all our groceries in plastic bags. Because I grow or raise most of my own food, I don't bring home much from the supermarket (pet food, butter, cheese & yogurt, gluten-free bread, fish, tp). Even so, by now I must have 50 market size plastic bags. I use these to line small wastebaskets… to receive the contents of the cats' litter box... um, that's about it. When all this is over and we can return to our frugal ways, I will have a lifetime supply of trashcan liners and litterbox bags!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Can you not reuse your bags when you shop next time? We have to buy veg in thin plastic bags, which I put back in my cloth bag and reuse for months. No bans here on bringing your own bag, at least in my state.

I think the same assumptions would apply, Julieanne. If you are infected, even if symptom-free, you might be returning infected plastic bags to the market... So nope, your purchases will be bagged in brand new plastic right off the stack.

This is wild! Here the use of plastic shopping bags is illegal. So one must bring one's own bag from home. Most people just carry several shopping bags in their vehicle, just like keeping several masks in the vehicle, in case one gets lost or gets soiled. No mask, no entry, no service. If you forget your bag, you just can carry your groceries home in your arms.

Our local supermarket puts small cartons outside for those who forget their own bags. And a group of locals sewed washable bags you can borrow and return, called 'boomerang bags'.

What a thoughtful idea!

Whatever happened to carrying groceries in a cardboard box. When I was a kid working for a neighborhood grocer, we delivered everything in cardboard boxes. Much easier to carry than a bunch of shopping bags, especially those without handles.

My local food co-op always provides disposed corrugated boxes available at the check-out, and I always return the boxes to reuse/recycle them on my next visit. Even the super-sized organic Natural Grocers SM branch in Las Cruces, NM does the same, as I like to check in there when visiting my integrative doctor. Lately however, my local food co-op has banned returning recycled boxes due to Covid, but we can still reuse those recycled boxes there.
    Last edited by grulla; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:15 PM.

Thread Information