Thread: Brazil becoming one of world’s worst coronavirus hot spots

Default Brazil becoming one of world’s worst coronavirus hot spots

MURI ASSUNÇÃO
    APR 25, 2020

Brazil is quickly becoming one of the world’s worst coronavirus hot spots. Amid unprecedented political turmoil, overcrowded hospitals, insufficient testing — and a president who refuses to acknowledge the seriousness of the pandemic — Latin America’s largest economy is being senselessly ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic.

And to many Brazilians, their biggest fear is that the situation might be starting to spiral out of control. “We are living through a nightmare,” Manual Viana, a funeral director from the northern city of Manaus, told NPR.

Continue reading at: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-brazil-bolsonaro-hotspot-infections-deaths-20200425-k3ofrososbdjfobmf4c7z6gbxu-story.html

Last edited by Islander; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:26 AM.

Default Re: Brazil becoming one of world’s worst coronavirus hot spots

I/we hope "Pattypans" is doing well???

Sadly, it appears Brazil may be following a similar path of the U.S. This article focuses on Ceara and Manaus, which are both located in northern Brazil. But, I'm also reading that places further south, like Rio and Sao Paulo, are also being hit very hard. And, this is all after a quarantine has been lifted in many places, with beaches and stores reopening. Would love to hear Pattypans take on all this.

Veteran Member

I haven't read the article yet, so will reserve my take for later. I will say this, though: Wearing masks while walking outside can be very dangerous. Masks are mandated everywhere here, but besides it being difficult to breathe in them (which if you're walking or cycling is dangerous), they severely limit your ability to see right below you. The sidewalks in my neighborhood, and in many others, are treacherous to navigate (very uneven, steps down, spots where tree roots cause the sidewalk to heave up, un-cleaned-up doggie business, etc.) Everybody here is used to looking at the ground they're about to step on. This is impossible in a mask. Some allow better visibility than others, but even the best curtail this vision to some extent.

My face is a mess of abrasions, bruises, and swellings today because of a messed-up sidewalk I couldn't see coming as I left the farmers' market with my hand full of bags yesterday. I'm thankful I didn't lose any teeth or break any bones. I face-planted, so my face, especially on the right side, took the brunt of the fall, and my knees took the rest.

I usually pull my mask down on the sidewalk, but I had just walked out of the plaza where the market is, and there were lots of people around, who I figured wanted me to wear my mask for their protection. A German friend I mentioned this too was shocked that here you have to wear a mask outside in the open air.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:35 AM.

Pattypans: So very sorry to hear about your fall. I agree that requiring a face mask outside in the open air seems like overkill. I don't know anywhere in the U.S. where a mask outside is required. We're required to wear masks while shopping indoors. Of course, the protesters demonstrating against police brutality are being encouraged to where mask in the streets. But, given the proximity of such huge numbers of people confined in the same space, this makes sense. What's the penalty for not wearing a mask outside?

Poor Pattypans! That's awful! This week I tripped twice over my own stupidity, but at least I landed on my knees both times. Not pleasant for the knees, but way better for the face!
    From everything I've read elsewhere, this article seems vastly incomplete. My understanding is that Bolsonaro has laughed off COVID-19 as "a little flu" and has made no steps to contain it. The business of quarantine, social distancing and masks has been left up to the people and any rules in place are local; they do not come from Bolsonaro. There is a wealth of information with greater depth and detail, but I've run out of time right now to post it… And rather than bury it here in this thread, I'll come back and post a companion article after dark. Still getting the garden in!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information