Thread: Unmasking Mask Science

Default Unmasking Mask Science

anh international
    June 11 2020

Should I, shouldn’t I; should we, shouldn’t we? Will they increase or reduce my risk? Am I duty bound to protect others, or could they increase their risk of infection as well as my own? Even if it doesn’t help against the new coronavirus, will it be seen as an act of solidarity in society’s war against the new enemy? These are among the questions running around many people’s minds when it comes to the voluntary wearing of masks. For countries and environments in which a face covering of some sort is required by law, some will just choose to not venture into these environments.
    For a quick heads up, the science required to give robust answers to any of these questions is just too limited and too uncertain – hence the variety of opinions on all of these subjects.

Read more: https://www.anhinternational.org/new...de574-85014029

Default Re: Unmasking Mask Science

Very informative!! I had not considered problems created by wearing a mask for the deaf & hard of hearing people who rely on lip reading to help them communicate. Wearing a mask for a long period would definitely pose a threat for those with lung conditions. Honestly, I wear a mask publicly more for the psychological benefit than for any real, tangible benefit.

We got through it without masks - nine confirmed cases, 0 in hospital on June 14 in my state. No local transmissions. It may be different on public transport, but I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask. I don't think I could wear one, it would make me feel too claustrophobic.

https://theconversation.com/should-i...ic%20transport
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-13-20 at 09:37 PM.

Julieanne, thanks for the link. I picked up a few tips on wearing masks & gloves correctly. As for feeling claustrophobic wearing a mask, this is fairly common. Some hospital workers forced to wear PPE have suffered from claustrophobia. Tom Bunn, a therapist, who wrote the book: Panic Free: 10-Day Program to End Panic, Anxiety, and Claustrophobia, states that feeling claustrophobic wearing a mask is due to your sympathetic nervous system revving you up. He offers a few tips to deal with this here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ommunal-spaces

Where I live (Maine, USA), wearing a mask in public is mandatory, although not enforceable and increasingly disregarded. I still continue to mask in public for my own protection as well as that of others. Why is that so much of a sacrifice?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

It's not much of a sacrifice, but a small percentage of people become overheated, claustrophobic, etc. when wearing them. An elderly lady ringing up my groceries told me without hourly breaks when she could take off the mask she would faint from being overheated. I believe wearing one is truly a burden for some people, to say nothing about the people who depend on lip reading to communicate. But, I agree with you...for most of us wearing a mask should not be much of a sacrifice.

Where I live (Saint Croix) the wearing of masks or other face covering is mandatory, and it is enforced. The government has printed and issued signs which are posted in every store and office to the effect of no mask, no service. Everybody does it, and I have little opinion that matters. I does not hurt me, and so I just do it. The problem now has become the tourists, who just recently have started to arrive, mostly from the US. Some of them, by reports from friends who are business owners, have become belligerent when they have been asked to wear a mask, just as we all are required to do. They are here on vacation, and do not like to have their "rights" infringed upon. We have had very little Covid illness here so far, but this might be about to change with all of these people importing the virus from their foreign places.

Really, what arrogance. To visit a foreign country (so to speak — I mean, they are guests on your island) and not respect your laws and customs! Arrogant and rude. No wonder we are called the Ugly Americans!

That's not good news Maurya, most of our infections came from cruise ships. I see from the news that Americans are very insistent on their 'rights', but less interested in other people's rights.

It's a small but noisy group, and they give the rest of us a bad name.

Thread Information