Thread: Which Is Better: Coconut Oil Or Olive Oil For Heart Health? Evoo Wins

Default Which Is Better: Coconut Oil Or Olive Oil For Heart Health? Evoo Wins

Lucy Danziger
    June 22, 2020

Who wore it better? Olive oil or coconut oil? In one of the most hotly contested debates of the plant-based world, the benefits of olive oil versus coconut oil are being argued by no lesser lights than the folks at Harvard Medical School. In a new review of the evidence, their blog posed the question: Which oil is healthier, Olive, or Coconut? They both have their fans and detractors, and with coconut enjoying cult-like status by keto fans and Paleo dieters alike, it seemed like a good time to delve deeper into the facts to find the answer once and for all.

Read more: https://thebeet.com/which-is-better-...alth-evo-wins/
    Last edited by Islander; 06-24-20 at 10:55 AM.

Default Re: Which Is Better: Coconut Oil Or Olive Oil For Heart Health? Evoo Wins

I'm going to respectfully disagree with their conclusion, because the article overlooks other benefits of coconut oil. It has been documented as having the potential to defer dementia and has also been cited as a possible prevention for macular degeneration. Because of its higher smoke point, it's also preferred over olive oil in a stirfry. And probably there are other benefits that I'm overlooking; I just want to strengthen the case for healthy coconut oil.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Which Is Better: Coconut Oil Or Olive Oil For Heart Health? Evoo Wins

Agreed, they each have their time and place.

I use and appreciate them both for different reasons. However, I do prefer the taste of EVOO over EVCO any day.

For me this is an easy decision; coconut oil for cooking, olive oil for salads and raw foods. Simple!

Nailed it, Maurya!

Cooking :

In terms of health impacts, it is better to cook with olive oil. Compared to a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of coconut oil contains about six times the amount of saturated fat, nearly meeting the daily limit of about 13 grams that the American Heart Association recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    For me this is an easy decision; coconut oil for cooking, olive oil for salads and raw foods. Simple!
    Agreed, but there can be exceptions, PROVIDED extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), and not regular olive oil is used, as explained by this Healthline website article(s). https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ng#bottom-line

Just last Tues.-Wed, I prepared a large pork roast for me and my disabled SIL, using the late Adele Davis 24 hour slow roasting procedure from her cookbook, "Let's Cook it Right".

The pork roast was first slathered with EVOO and then used that opportunity as a base to garnish the roast with coarse garlic granules and oregano, before inserting the pork roast in a preheated 300*F oven for less, (or no more), than one hour, in order to kill off any pathogens, according to Adele Davis' recommendation(s).

After the first hour, the temperature was reduced to the 165*-170*F, the unique slow roasting temperature for pork, for the following 23 minimum hours, (Other meats like poultry, lamb, and beef have their own unique slow roasting temperatures).

According to the following Healthline link, the 300*F preheat was/is well below the smoking point and rancidity limits of the EVOO, (but NOT necessarily regular olive oil), so Davis' slow roasting temperatures, regardless of which ever meats, don't come anywhere near the EVOO damaging limits.

AGAIN: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ng#bottom-line
    Last edited by grulla; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 PM.

Scilover, I suggest you brush up on some of our articles on cholesterol. The short answer: unless you and your family suffer from hypercholesterolemia, there is no such thing as too much cholesterol. Our body even produces 1200 g a day because we need it for 1000 different physiological purposes. Another factor, one you may not be aware of because you're relatively new to the perfusion of articles on the site… But coconut oil has a higher smoke point then EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), which is better use for salads or dipping, saving the coconut oil for frying and roasting.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ....."After the first hour, the temperature was reduced to the 165*-170*F, the unique slow roasting temperature for pork, for the following 23 minimum hours, (Other meats like poultry, lamb, and beef have their own unique slow roasting temperatures).
    Wow!! 23 hours minimum to roast pork?? How large was the pork roast?

Adele Davis was a great nutrition pioneer in the 50s. I got my start reading one of her early books, Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit. That said, some of her ideas seem a bit outré to us today. But Grulla insists that her method produces a tender juicy roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Wow!! 23 hours minimum to roast pork?? How large was the pork roast?
    I have 24 hour slow roasted all my lamb, pork, beef, turkey roasts that way since the early 70s, regardless of size, as I described in this 6 Y.O. HH thread post about Adele Davis' 24 hour slow roasting technique in her cook book, "Lets Cook it Right":

https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ighlight=Adele
    Last edited by grulla; 1 Week Ago at 08:27 AM.

Thread Information