Thread: Multi Ethnic Study Suggests That Vitamin K May Offer Health Benefits In Older Age

Default Multi Ethnic Study Suggests That Vitamin K May Offer Health Benefits In Older Age

Tufts University, Science Campus
    June 15 2020

A new, multi-ethnic study found older adults with low vitamin K levels were more likely to die within 13 years compared to those whose vitamin K levels were adequate. The results suggest vitamin K, a nutrient found in leafy greens and vegetable oils, may have protective health benefits as we age, according to the researchers.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0615115725.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:14 AM.

Default Re: Multi Ethnic Study Suggests That Vitamin K May Offer Health Benefits In Older Age

Vit. K is 1 of 4 fat soluble vitamins, which means the body stores it. However, of the 4 fat soluble vits., vitamin K is the least stored. High amounts of vitamins A and E (other fat soluble vits.) reduce the amount of vit. K absorbed. To ensure adequate absorption, perhaps vits. A & E should not be consumed in same meal with K, if one is concerned about K deficiency. Vitamin K is actually a family of vits., consisting of K1 (plant source), K2 (animals sources, like egg yolks & liver, plus fermented soy, called natto). Read more about vit. K here:
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-vitamins#vitk

Default Re: Multi Ethnic Study Suggests That Vitamin K May Offer Health Benefits In Older Age

Thanks for that, Mr. Wiz. Now I know what the K-1 and K-2 stand for! I dismissed this article because it fit in nicely with my own habits. I seem to get enough of both Ks from the variety in my diet.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The thing is....if you supplement with extra vitamin D3, then you need more K2. Based on my research, no firm ratios of K2 to D3 have been established. However, it looks like for every 1,000 IUs of D3 supplemented about 45 mcg. of K2 are needed. K1, on the other hand, is abundant in leafy green veggies. However, K2 sources are limited and contain small amounts, like 17 mcg. in an ounce of cheese, 6 mcg. in an egg yolk. The best K2 sources are natto (fermented soybeans), with about 1,000 mcg. of K2 per 100 grams, and goose liver with about 370 mcg. per 100 grams. See K2 sources here: https://www.nutritionadvance.com/foo...in-vitamin-k2/

Thanks for that Vit K2 link "Mr.Wizard". After having my 60+% blocked, right carotid artery, cleaned clear last year with the newly FDA approved, minimally invasive TCAR procedure, https://silkroadmed.com/the-tcar-procedure/, in May 2019, (left side is still 90+% occluded), along with a multitude of ultrasound surveillance every 6 months before and after that TCAR procedure, I have avoided any and all dairy for the past 1 1/2 + years relying on veggie greens, such as home made coleslaw, for my source of calcium.

My recent bloodwork test the other day shows my calcium level right in the middle of the window where it's supposed to be. However, I hope that isn't at the expense of my bone calcium, so therefore, I have now decided to very cautiously resume certain high quality organic K2-MK7 dairy such as Gouda cheese, (and perhaps other dairy ???), in very limited amounts, while carefully observing my future periodic, every 6 month, right carotid artery ultrasounds, at my TCAR surgeon's office in Tucson, AZ.

I was surprised that the article recommended various pork sausage (like kielbasa and pepperoni, etc.), as a source of Vit K2-MK4, which Mercola always considers processed deli meats to be avoided, so a careful search for an organic, grassfed source is in order. I had been ordering 7 dry ice chilled, organic, grassfed, 1 lb rolls of liverwurst from one of many online, organic meatpacking plants in MO last year, which I like so much. And they have other grassfed prepared meat products available as well.

And the article also recommended hi-fat dark chicken meat quarters as a source of Vit K2-MK4, which has always been a regular big favorite around here, for both me and my late wife's lifelong disabled sister, (SIL), preparing a sack of 10, 5 at a time, slowly simmered and garnished with various spices, in a large covered cast iron pan.
    Last edited by grulla; 1 Week Ago at 05:40 PM.

Thread Information