Thread: Staring At a Deep Red Light Can Significantly Improve Declining Eyesight

Default Staring At a Deep Red Light Can Significantly Improve Declining Eyesight

James Ives
    June 29 2020

Staring at a deep red light for three minutes a day can significantly improve declining eyesight, finds a new UCL-led study, the first of its kind in humans.
    Scientists believe the discovery, published in the Journals of Gerontology, could signal the dawn of new affordable home-based eye therapies, helping the millions of people globally with naturally declining vision.
    In the UK there are currently around 12 million people aged over 65: in 50 years this will increase to around 20 million and all will have some degree of visual decline because of retinal ageing.

Read more: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-eyesight.aspx

Default Re: Staring At a Deep Red Light Can Significantly Improve Declining Eyesight

Would a LED torch with red cellophane over it do the same thing? Or is the light different? I don't understand the technology, so if anyone can answer, please keep it simple!

Default Re: Staring At a Deep Red Light Can Significantly Improve Declining Eyesight

I don't understand the mechanics of it either. I wonder whether the same treatment would prevent or slow the development of macular degeneration. Lots of unanswered questions here.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Would a LED torch with red cellophane over it do the same thing? Or is the light different? I don't understand the technology, so if anyone can answer, please keep it simple!
    Probably not, as the article stipulates a precise 670 nanometres (long wavelength) deep red light, and not any random red light source. I recall back east, a retail supplier of educational and surplus optical equipment. Perhaps emailing them, or a similar company in Oz could be helpful. And when discussing this matter, remember to insist on the light source having to be the precise 670 nm (nanometers) wavelength as the article states. Further research needed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund...ic_Corporation

Thanks grulla, I'll look into it further. As a price is mentioned, it looks like it is on the market, though maybe not here. I'd like to try it, as it doesn't seem too expensive.

Thread Information