Thread: A Year In, 1st Patient To Get Gene Editing For Sickle Cell Disease Is Thriving

Default A Year In, 1st Patient To Get Gene Editing For Sickle Cell Disease Is Thriving

Rob Stein
    June 23, 2020

Like millions of other Americans, Victoria Gray has been sheltering at home with her children as the U.S. struggles through a deadly pandemic, and as protests over police violence have erupted across the country.
    But Gray is not like any other American. She's the first person with a genetic disorder to get treated in the United States with the revolutionary gene-editing technique called CRISPR.
    And as the one-year anniversary of her landmark treatment approaches, Gray has just received good news: The billions of genetically modified cells doctors infused into her body clearly appear to be alleviating virtually all the complications of her disorder, sickle cell disease.

Keep reading: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...9681&orgid=497
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: A Year In, 1st Patient To Get Gene Editing For Sickle Cell Disease Is Thriving

Such a wonderful success story!!! The "potential" long-term effects will tell the real story. A less publicized aspect of Sickle Cell CRISPR treatment is the "chemo-therapy" that patients must undergo to destroy the diseased cells before the genetically-altered cells can be introduced into the body. The chemo-therapy can cause: 1. infertility; 2. cancer later in life; 3. wipe out white blood cells; 4. destroy the gut lining, leaving patients dependent on intravenous nutrition for long periods; and 5. acute & severe anemia!! Read More: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03698-8

Default Re: A Year In, 1st Patient To Get Gene Editing For Sickle Cell Disease Is Thriving

Wow, that's a really in-depth article, Mr. Wizard. Would you be willing to post it as a stand-alone story in the Other Heath Concerns forum?

Islander: As you may recall, I wear a DUNCE hat when it comes to posting. Almost every time I've attempted to post, you've had to come behind me and clean up my mess. If you'll accept the burden of correcting my mistakes, I'll be happy to post the article to the "Other Health Concerns Forum." What say you?....be kind. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Islander: As you may recall, I wear a DUNCE hat when it comes to posting. Almost every time I've attempted to post, you've had to come behind me and clean up my mess. If you'll accept the burden of correcting my mistakes, I'll be happy to post the article to the "Other Health Concerns Forum." What say you?....be kind. Lol.
    You too, I've had to stand in the corner a few times also, LOL! Just copy from some one's experienced format.

A quick glimpse behind Islander's curtain: I have two big vegetable gardens and a cannabis grow to tend to. I had to take the dog to the vet for follow-up treatment, a 90-mile round-trip. Another 80-mile RT with Amish friends to go to another Amish community to load up on organic strawberries… and then process them for jam and for the freezer. I have been out on the road, covering about 200 miles placing yard signs in area towns and villages for a Maine candidate for the U.S. Senate. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow for a macular degeneration check and another one with a different eye doctor the following week for a followup on the retina surgery.
    What I'm trying to say is that while everyone else is home quarantining and enjoying lots of leisure time, I am scurrying to keep up. So please, Mr. Wizard, do go ahead and post. Just follow the same pattern all the other posters use. I remember that the last post you put up was perfect in every detail ...and if not, I'll be right behind you to fix it!

Happy to fix it if necessary if Islander is not around. I made a few glaring mistakes myself when I first started posting. Some posts can be tricky, I don't know why. I spent at least fifteen minutes yesterday on a post that just would not come out right, I had to go back and edit several times. It's not always your fault.

That's very kind of you. It's nice to know it's not always my fault, and that I'm not alone in fighting the "posting gremlins." Lol.

Thread Information