Thread: The Real Reason Almonds Are Destroying California

Default The Real Reason Almonds Are Destroying California

Hanna Claeson
    July 10 2020

You're looking at one of the Californian almond groves that produce 80 percent of the world's almond crops (via The Sacramento Bee). In 2020, the California almond industry predicts it will churn out 3 billion pounds of the nut, 18 percent more than it did in 2019 (via California Almonds). Good news for the industry — catastrophic news for the environment.

The water footprint of a single California almond is 3.2 gallons (equal to 1 million gallons per acre per year), meaning that, per year, almonds guzzle enough H20 to supply all of the households in the Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco Bay areas (via National Geographic, Science Direct, and Grist). And almond producers will do anything to get that water, including outbidding entire cities.

Read more: https://www.mashed.com/225543/the-re...ng-california/
    Last edited by Islander; 07-13-20 at 07:49 PM.

Default Re: The Real Reason Almonds Are Destroying California

Some of those CA nut farmers have, over the years, been looking into moving to the Sonoran Desert of Southern AZ, and more recently the high desert of Bowie and San Simon (where I lived 84-90) in S.E. Cochise County, AZ, where many pecan and pistachio farms have recently proliferated, as one can readily see traveling on (Interstate) I10.
    Apparently the Dos Cabezos and Chiricahua Mountain Upper Gila water sheds provide much ground water for those many (recent) nut farms. One has to ask how much longer those mountain water sheds can sustain all those nut tree farms.

https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com...35a64fe64.html
    https://tucson.com/news/local/rural-...f91b144fe.html
    Last edited by Islander; 07-13-20 at 07:25 PM.

This article took me on quite a trip; I ended up opening several different windows and copying recipes and instructions, including how to make flour from acorns. I was continually amazed at how much environmental destruction is caused by all the oil producing crops that were mentioned (palm oil, olive oil, coconut oil). While damning coconut oil, the story failed to mention any of the benefits, including the goodness of saturated fat, weight control, and most recently, prevention of macular degeneration, which I had never heard before. The article that organized the nuts according to which were good for you and which to avoid, went on to offer a selection of recipes that included most of the nuts we were told to avoid a page or two previously.
    It's important that we continue through life with our sense of humor intact. It's a survival skill!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

All nuts, as well as berries, have become a moot point for me. After a couple years of careful observations, I have realized that I have developed an intolerance, (not an allergy) to both, with bad pains and cramps in various parts of my digestive tract, sometimes in the form of a very painful and debilitating muscle cramp at the lower bowel. This may all be due in part to high oxalates, but perhaps the root cause(s) may be compromised, age related, digestive enzymes. The jury is still out???

grulla, have you tried soaking raw nuts. Apparently, raw nuts & seeds contain protease inhibitors, which can block enzyme function and prevent nuts from being fully digested, causing some of the discomfort you may feel. To get rid of these inhibitors, it is recommended to soak the nuts before consuming. Soaking time differs per type of nut or seed.
    Read details here: https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/raw...ymes-1213.html

Thanks for that soaking advice "Mr.Wiz" I regularly do a 24 hour soak in water with ACV, for the WHOLE grain oat groats that I prepare in large batches, as I had described in "Islander's" recent oatmeal thread last year, so I'm somewhat familiar with serious grain, seed, or nut soaking. I'll study all this much more.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-15-20 at 06:00 AM.

A long time ago, when I lived in a house which had a functioning oven, I used to soak raw, organic nuts in salted water overnight, then roast them under low heat for many hours (don't remember how many, but it varied from one type of nut to another). Then they must cool off at room temperature prior to being stored in a jar. Never had a better snack in my life!

I'll bet soaking details can be found online somewhere on the Weston Price site.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yes, I think that the details were in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook.

Thread Information