Thread: Eradication Elimination, Suppression: Let's Understand What They Mean Before Debatin

Default Eradication Elimination, Suppression: Let's Understand What They Mean Before Debatin

This is an Australian article but could apply anywhere

Anita Heywood & C Raina MacIntyre
    July 16 2020

The current surge in community transmission of COVID-19 in Victoria has brought renewed discussion of whether Australia should maintain its current “suppression” strategy, or pursue an “elimination” strategy instead.
    But what do these terms actually mean, and what are the differences between the two?

In theory
    Disease eradication means a global absence of the pathogen (except in laboratories). We achieved this for smallpox in 1980. Diseases suitable for eradication are usually those where humans are the only host, and where there’s an effective vaccine or other prevention strategy.

Disease elimination relates to a country or a region, and is usually defined as the absence of ongoing community (endemic) transmission.

Read more: https://theconversation.com/eradicat...alias%20course
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Eradication Elimination, Suppression: Let's Understand What They Mean Before Deb

That is excellent clarification. Thanks for finding it, Julieanne. I'm sure we have experts in the US who are familiar with that terminology and its consequences. What I doubt is whether there is anyone in charge — in a position of authority — who can retain some measure of control over implementing the necessary procedures to achieve eventually eradication.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Eradication Elimination, Suppression: Let's Understand What They Mean Before Deb

Color me confused, at least on the term "eradication," which suggests global absence of a disease. For ex., the WHO declared polio had been eradicated decades ago. However, polio cases continue to emerge in parts of Africa, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. So, does eradication really mean totally gone or suppressed to a less than pandemic level.

I was confused about the terms too, so was pleased to find it - glad I'm not the only one! I doubt we are ever going to eradicate it, any more than we have been able to eradicate influenza or the common cold.

(Computer acting strangely - I'm unable to put a comma after eradication).
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:19 AM.

I would say the WHO is using the wrong terminology.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information