Thread: Turmeric Could Have Antiviral Properties

Default Turmeric Could Have Antiviral Properties

Microbiology Society
    July 17 2020

Curcumin, a natural compound found in the spice turmeric, could help eliminate certain viruses, research has found.
    A study published in the Journal of General Virology showed that curcumin can prevent Transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV) -- an alpha-group coronavirus that infects pigs -- from infecting cells. At higher doses, the compound was also found to kill virus particles.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0717120154.htm

Default Re: Turmeric Could Have Antiviral Properties

I regularly take a Curcumin supplement. My Filipina daughter-in-law gave me two jars full of a wonderful powdered mixture of turmeric, ginger and organic sugar to be dissolved in hot water and drunk as a tea. When I had run out of both jars I emailed her to ask how I might get more. Alas, she had brought back a supply from her last trip to Manila, where a woman there makes it, and it might be a long time… Maybe forever, before I will get more.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Each year, I ask one of my my favorite local farmers as to how close we are to the end of the turmeric season. When it gets close to the end of season, I buy quite a lot of turmeric root and freeze it. Usually I have guessed right, and it lasts until the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I regularly take a Curcumin supplement. ...........
    I've been taking 2 450mg capsules of curcumin every day along with lycopene, quercitin, and two different formulated natural prostate compounds for the past few years, at the direction of my integrative doctor, which resulted in shrinking away 2 nodular growths on my prostate, verified by a third party radiologist report.

I would like to think that the curcumin may have also prevented other health issues as well. However, my PSA count on my last periodic bloodwork test still remains a bit high, and the last recent MRI at my local regional hospital had poor resolution.

So now I have to go to a state-of-the-art digital imagery facility in Tucson, AZ for an improved MRI with higher imagery resolution. In the meanwhile, I continue on with my natural prostate remedies, Bio-Tech curcumin included, that's supplied by my integrative doctor's inhouse "pharmacy" at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-19-20 at 10:03 PM.

Islander, can you not make up your own mix of ginger and turmeric? Or is there something special about the one you had?

The mix looks like some kind of finely ground and perfectly blended ingredients that can be spooned into a mug and dissolved in boiling water. It would probably have been made by grinding dried turmeric root, dried ginger root and sugar. I don't have access to any of those... And even if I did, I don't have the kind of equipment to turn them into very tiny granules. I don't know what proportions they were mixed with either. It made a very tasty blend, a bit hot (in the sense of spicy hot, but not overdone). Any attempt would probably result in my wasting some very expensive ingredients. I'll just continue to take my supplements and enjoy the addition of fresh ginger root to my stirfries.

I've taken turmeric (curcumin) for years because it's also anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory! However, curcumin is poorly absorbed because it's fat soluble and does not absorb well in a digestive system that's highly aqueous, according to my research. To increase aborption, mix turmeric (curcumin) with fat, like olive or coconut oil, ghee, etc. A black pepper extract--pipperine--also increases absorption. Or, take liquid "liposomal" curcumin because the curcumin is enveloped inside of liposomes made of fat, called phospholipids. Liposomes resemble the cell membrane of intestinal digestive cells and makes it easier for curcumin to be absorbed. Doesn't matter how much curcumin you take, if your body isn't abosrbing it.
    https://coremedscience.com/blogs/wel...etes-pain-more
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-20-20 at 05:01 PM.

So how do you take it Mr Wiz? I used to take curcurmin in capsules with biopiperine, then found it cheaper to buy them separately.

Besides my circumin consumption in the above post, I sprinkle turmeric with ground black peppercorn on my breakfast skillett each and every morning. I hope all the saturated fat from the eggs, breakfast meats, ghee, and CCO in the skillet is adequate for the liposomal effect???

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    So how do you take it Mr Wiz? I used to take curcurmin in capsules with biopiperine, then found it cheaper to buy them separately.
    I take liquid liposomal curcumin and curcumin in a time-release caplet. The time release caplet contains curcumin, piperine, and ginger. I actually prefer the liquid, which I've been taking now for about 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    Besides my circumin consumption in the above post, I sprinkle turmeric with ground black peppercorn on my breakfast skillett each and every morning. I hope all the saturated fat from the eggs, breakfast meats, ghee, and CCO in the skillet is adequate for the liposomal effect???
    According to my research, subjecting turmeric to heat on a skillet enhances turmeric/curcumin's solubility. There are other benefits gained from applying a little heat to turmeric.
    Keep reading: https://coyo.com/au/4-ways-to-boost-...in-absorption/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    According to my research, subjecting turmeric to heat on a skillet enhances turmeric/curcumin's solubility. There are other benefits gained from applying a little heat to turmeric.
    Keep reading: https://coyo.com/au/4-ways-to-boost-...in-absorption/
    Thanks "Mr.Wiz", that's good to know that I was on the right path. And almost everything I cook, (except pressure cooking and perhaps stir fry but with minimal time duration) is slowly simmered with minimal heat, especially the Adele Davis 24 hour slow roasting method from her book, Let's Cook it Right.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-21-20 at 10:57 AM.

In addition to the capsules I take daily, I sometimes prepare scrambled eggs by first melting about a T of butter or coconut oil in a skillet and then sautéing a heaping teaspoonful of turmeric in the fat for about five minutes. I also grind pepper generously into the egg mix when I add it. "Egg mix" = onions, sweet peppers, cheese, maybe some grated ginger.

Thread Information