Thread: Flu and pneumonia shots may lower risk for Alzheimer's, studies fin

Default Flu and pneumonia shots may lower risk for Alzheimer's, studies fin

Andrea Kane and Sandee LaMotte
    July 27, 2020

(CNN)It turns out that flu and pneumonia shots may be good for more than what their names suggest.
    Not only does getting a shot reduce your chances of coming down with a nasty infection, but getting vaccinated may also reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in the future, according to two separate abstracts presented at the Alzheimer's Association International Conferenceon Monday.
    "This is an encouraging finding that builds upon prior evidence that vaccination against common infections diseases -- such as the flu -- is associated with a reduced risk for Alzheimer's and a delay in disease onset," said neurologist Dr. Richard Isaacson, founder of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic.

Read more (the reason is welcome news): https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/healt...=1595846095039
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Flu and pneumonia shots may lower risk for Alzheimer's, studies fin

Typical. I can see it now..."get your flu shot and reduce your chances of Alzheimer's." Instead of drugs, some dietary approaches have proven beneficial in preventing Alzheimer's, like eating plenty of fatty fish containing Omega-3 fatty acids. According to the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, Omega-3 increases memory, learning, and decreases risk of depression and all forms of dementia. Keep Reading: https://www.j-alz.com/content/can-om...eimers-disease
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:47 AM.

The highlight for me was this: "Regular use of the flu vaccine, especially starting at an early age, may help prevent viral infections that could cause cascading effects on the immune system and inflammatory pathways. These viral infections may trigger Alzheimers related cognitive decline," Isaacson said.

If viral infections are the problem —if that's what predisposes us to cognitive decline — then the good news is that no vaccine is necessary for those who practice sound nutritional preventive practices that avoid invading viruses. I haven't had a cold or flu for as far back as I can clearly remember, which means 15 to 20 years. Maybe I can stop being concerned now about losing my mind!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Excellent point, Islander.

Thread Information