Thread: A Desk-Based Job May Lower The Risk For Cognitive Decline

Default A Desk-Based Job May Lower The Risk For Cognitive Decline

Robby Berman
    July 27 2020

Experts have long warned about the potential dangers of a sedentary lifestyle. Many studies suggest that being physically inactive increases the risk of health issues.

However, the connection between being physically active and maintaining cognitive health has been less clear. Now, a new study from the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom further emphasizes this uncertainty.
    The research has found that people with desk jobs are far less likely to experience cognitive decline than those with physically active roles.
    “The often-used mantra ‘what is good for the heart, is good for the brain’ makes complete sense, but the evidence on what we need to do as individuals can be confusing,” says lead author Shabina Hayat.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...&apid=28940830

Default Re: A Desk-Based Job May Lower The Risk For Cognitive Decline

Very interesting! As someone with a desk job most of my life, I'm pleased to read this study's findings. I wonder if the studied factored in people with desk jobs, but who also exercised daily after work?? I know people with heavy manual labor jobs who go straight home from work and spread out on the couch for 5 hours after a big supper. While heavy manual labor does equate to more physical activity, as the study notes, it does not equate to exercise. Likewise, a desk job doesn't necessarily equate to a sedentary life style if one is exercising daily for an hour or two after sitting at the desk all day!

Good point Mr Wiz.

We were having a conversation at yesterday's book club about the size of our ancestors compared to today's averages. Thoreau was putting three men in a canoe and calculating the total mass, which average out to barely 130 pounds per person. This was roughly 1850 and that's a small man by today's standards. Someone pointed out that loggers worked a full day as long as the daylight lasted — probably the hardest physical labor imaginable, all done by hand back then — on three meals a day: beans for breakfast and for supper since it takes 12 hours to bake beans, and a hearty meal midday with bread, pork, potatoes, maybe cabbage, biscuits and gravy, and plenty of pie. Lots and lots of pie. Until the industrial revolution, few people were sedentary in the way most of us are today... And looking around at the community of Amish that I'm surrounded by these days, forgotten lifestyles still exist and people spend most of their day in work, much of it physically hard work. I could call my modest efforts around the farm and garden "work" but it hardly compares with a day in a real farmer's life a century ago, including churning butter, carrying water by hand and canning in midsummer on a wood stove.
    This is why the Amish have large families, by the way, and live in close-knit communities where many hands make light work. In between haying, the men are building a huge barn for one of our neighbors!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

My grandfather worked as a stevedore for more than 40 yrs., loading and unloading huge ships on the waterfront. He worked extremely hard everyday, but he was unhealthy. Which is more beneficial for physical & mental health--hard work or exercise, specifically aerobic exercise. I'm convinced that aerobic exercise--walking, cycling, swimming--where the lungs are stretched via heavy breathing and the heart rate is elevated for 20 - 30 minutes--is far more beneficial for health than working hard all day. Muscles adjust to hard work, but the heart, lungs, & brain benefit anew from aerobic exercise daily.

But I can't help but wonder, unhealthy in what way? Was he a smoker? A heavy drinker? Did he live on a diet of Crisco and margarine and other trans fats? How about sugar intake? There are so many factors that influence health, some of them genetic. It's been 50 or 60 years since I saw stevedores at work, but didn't all that lifting and moving provide cardio benefits? Just asking, I really don't know.

Islander, I'm getting way off topic here, but did you ever see Witness? There was a wonderful scene where all the neighbours got together to build a barn. Even though it must be over 30 years since I watched it I still remember that scene.

No, Julie, I never saw the film. However, despite the hardships and challenges of living the life of pioneers with no modern conveniences, not even indoor plumbing, there is a great deal to be said for the security and comfort of a close community with shared beliefs and goals. I see it over and over.

Thread Information