Thread: How To Reduce The Amount Of Energy Your Hot Water system Burns Through

Default How To Reduce The Amount Of Energy Your Hot Water system Burns Through

Dannielle Maguire
    August 12 2020

It's estimated 21 per cent of the energy used in the average Australian home is chewed up by heating water,but it doesn't have to be that way.
    There are a few simple things you can do to cut down on the energy your hot water system uses.

How to adjust a hot water system thermostat

You have to be careful with hot water systems, because tinkering with them can be dangerous.
    "There's only certain things you can do on your own, as far as doing anything where you need tools, you're best to get a plumber in," Ezy-Plumb managing director Petros Ttofari says.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...-tips/12541076
    Last edited by Julieanne; 08-13-20 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: How To Reduce The Amount Of Energy Your Hot Water system Burns Through

We installed an on-demand water heater system when we rebuilt after the fire. Like solar panels, these on-demand systems are expensive to install but save boodles of money over time. The way it works, when you turn on the hot water, the pressure drops, which ignites a propane burner that heats the water passing through the copper piping. You will never run out of hot water no matter how many people take Long long showers because the flame continues until you turn the hot water off. You see, you are never keeping a column of water hot 24/7 year-round! The house was built over 40 years ago and only once has that heater required maintenance — just a brief cleaning.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: How To Reduce The Amount Of Energy Your Hot Water system Burns Through

I have a similar system, but the on demand water heaters are electric. I had them installed (one for upstairs, one for downstairs) when I had the solar panels installed. They don't last forever; mine have had to be rebuilt a few times. Not going to state the brand name, as there might be better ones on the market. Never would I go back to the tank type water heater.

I think most are gas in Australia - I've lived in a few houses with them, and so has my son. They are certainly the most efficient if you have a one or two person household.

Julieanne, we had a six-person household, some years as many as eight when we had two farm apprentices (the ones who came as a couple). Their selling point, other than cost savings over the long run, is that you never run out of hot water!

I agree, it is ideal for almost anyone. I meant that for one or two people it is far better than any storage system. I bought a house with electric heated tank, and my bills were sky high!

Currently watching Fight for Planet A on ABC TV. A student household were shown how to dial down the temperature on their HW system, saving money and the environment. The three part series shows three families how they can all reduce their carbon footprint. It focuses on energy use, transport and next week is food, which will be interesting. A series by the same presenter a couple of years ago, War on Waste, had quite an effect on people I talked to. One man told me it encouraged him to fix a broken appliance (he found the part online) instead of throwing it out.

Getting away from the topic, but one horrifying statistic showed a huge mountain of clothing, which turned out to be what Aussies throw away every ten minutes! I had no idea. Apparently many teenage girls buy a cheap outfit, wear it once, take a selfie to post on Facebook and never wear it again! One wonders where schoolgirls get that sort of money. ( I'll climb off my soapbox now)
    Last edited by Julieanne; 08-20-20 at 01:20 AM.

We lived in a small, all electric, 1000 sq', ranch house with a cellar, in rural N.E. PA, 1977-1983. All six rooms had 240 volt electric baseboard heaters, each with it's own wall mounted thermostat.

Likewise, there was a 30-40 gallon, 240 volt electric hot water heater in the cellar. Circa late 70s, Penn-Elec offered home owners one of the first computerised "time-of-day" calendar clock, electric meters, where one could get cheap electricity during off-peak night and weekend hours, but pay a high premium price during the high demand electricity during the day time, so I immediately had the power company install the new time-of-day electric meter.

Next, I purchased a rockwool (fiberglass) insulation jacket for the electric hotwater heater tank, and also installed an electric Tork timer clock in order to automatically turn off the hot water heater during the day hours, and rely on the "thermos bottle" effect of the insulated hot water heater tank to get us through the day time hours for our hot water needs. However, the hot water heater Tork timer had no way of sensing ALL DAY cheap electricity on weekends, so I had to remember to flick on the Tork timer's over ride switch on Sat and Sun which was no big deal.

As for the 6 electric baseboard heaters, I crisscrossed the attic floor with 2 additional layers of NON-foilbacked (to help prevent condensation) wool insulation and installed a cast-iron, potbelly stove and cement block chimney in the cellar, taking advantage of the clean(er) burning anthracite coal mined in that part of PA, thereby saving much money on the electric bill.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:11 AM.

Julieanne, I'm preparing a Facebook rant on fast fashion and the amount of money we throw away on clothes that we also throw away. Any chance you can email me a copy of that picture you describe about the mound of throwaway clothes?

Have sent you an email. Here's the video of the clothing. (about one minute)

https://www.facebook.com/ABCTV/video...2650437757594/
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:24 PM.

Just...unbelievable.

Thread Information